Rewinding Rear Brake Pistons ?

Hi,
Might have to change my rear brake pads in the near future. Not having done this job before, how do you screw the pistons back in.
Is it just a matter of turning/pushing them with a screwdriver, or is there
a special tool ?
Oh, and I assume the handbrake has to be loosened prior to this, and then readjusted automatically afterwards.
Done front pads several times before, but they seem easier, just pushing the pistons back in (with no handbrake!).
It's a Fiat Marea btw.
Thanks
Graham

some makes can be wound in with a big screwdriver, but many require something that pushes hard and engages lugs in the piston. most car shops sell a little universal cube like thing that is used with a socket ratchet to turn the piston while pressing hard by hand, these often work (and if you are inventive you may be able to use this with a g clamp to apply pressure), the right tool is usually not stocked and quite expensive and varies by make of car
mrcheerful
On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 06:52:09 +0100, mrcheerful

Or Draper sell a tool that pushes & turns simultaneously which makes the job trivial.

Pick a suitable sized combination spanner (17mm works well on my car) so that the jaws of the open end engage with the dogs of the caliper piston. Then use a screwdriver passed through the ring end as a T-bar, to push and turn the piston. IME (only done it twice), it's mainly turning force that's required, with just a slight pushing effort.
HTH
--
Stuart Sharp

Might have to change my rear brake pads in the near future. Not having done

I presume this is the 20v Marea? In which case the pistons are the same as on the HGT, you need a tool to wind them back in, although a pair of pointy pliers could be used. The tool is cheap enough, might as well buy one :)
Hellraiser..........>