leaking axle seal?

The other day, I went to get my car inspected and the shop said that my rear brakes weren't working and I failed that part (amongst others, geez) so I
checked my back brakes today and found that the inside of the drum had a bunch of grease on it. It looked like the brake cylinder had been leaking but on closer inspection the brake cylinder looked fine and the grease looked a lot thicker than I remember when I've seen leaky brake cylinders before. So I'm thinking the axle shaft seal has gone out and it's leaking gear oil into the drum. Does that seem possible?
If it is, what's it like changing that seal? I've got a 10 bolt rear with a posi unit with 3.23's. From what I understand, I need to remove the clip on the end of the axle and slide it out, pop out the bearing and seal, replace the seal, put the bearing, axle and clip back in and I'm good to go. Did I oversimplify that?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
-Bruce
Take off the rear cover. turn the carrier until you see a 5/16" headed bolt going into the side of the carrier (opposite of the ring gear) Take that out then push the pin that the spider gears are mounted on. Only push it out far enough to allow the axles to be pushed in and remove the C clips from the axles and pull them out. Best bet is to push the pin back in and put the (pin)bolt back in to hold it. By not removeing the spider gear pin all the way you shouldn't drop any of the gears out.... be careful that they don't fall. Sometimes the axle will be worn bad so you either have to replace the axle or you have to put in a repair kit that relocates the bearing to a new surface. If the axle looks good the bearing should be ok just replace the seal... It's actually a pretty simple job. I Hope I explained this ok and didn't miss anything.. I've done hundreds of these and it's hard to explain without doing... Good Luck...

Bruce Chang wrote:

    Yes your axles seals can and will do that. It's more commen on S-10's. 69CamaroSS did a good job explaing how to remove the axles.
    I use a prybar to pop the seal out, you can use a seal puller. To install the seals I tap them in place with my hand, then use a short block of 4x4 as a seal driver. Then I tap them in with a engeeners hammer. Using a block is better as it evenly spreads the force, plus the wood with not gall the seals surface.
    Also before you reinstall your axles, I always lube the seals with barring grease, as well as the axle it's self. I use either Valvoline 80W90 or Lucas Gear Oil. Since your car has a Eaton posi-traction unit, add Posi-Trac lube to it as well. Charles
Hi Bruce,
Kevin snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca