2000 Taurus engine sputters

Recently, my 2000 Taurus SES DOHC with 62,000 miles runs into trouble getting started again after being driven for an hour or so. If I start the car within a half hour after the first trip, the car
sputters like its gasping for air. Thereís reduced acceleration and the car audibly chugs. If I floor it, the car shakes off the problem within a few seconds and the issue goes away. Iíve never experienced this problem on a first startup, only after a restart. Does anyone have an idea on what could be going on?