2005 Escape Ltd Failed Rear Shocks

I have a 2005 Escape. The warranty just recently expired. Just under the wire, I gto my rear shocks replaced by Ford for free. The car has 26,000 miles. I'm surprised (and pissed) that the shocks failed so
quickly. Also, the wheel bearings are getting noisey or at least I think that it's the wheel bearings. Anyone else have the same problems with a similar vehicle?
mstrspy wrote:

Things can fail prematurely, they're all manmade items and thus not perfect. Thats what warranties are for. As for the wheel bearings, get them checked ASAP, before you get many more miles out of warranty. I would more suspect noisy tires at 26K, but if the bearings are in fact noisy, you may have recourse for a "good will" adjustment for a "just out of warranty" failure. A lot depends on Ford, the dealer, and especially your attitude in trying to reach an agreement for an out of warranty repair. Remember, you attract more flies with honey than vinegar, no matter how expensive the bowl is. Once the warranty period is over, they don't really owe you anything.
Not likely, if they had a proper 15K service completed. ;)
mike

So Mike would you like to explain how you service shocks?

Wipe them down and polish them? I'm not sure if you can service wheel bearings either since they are sealed.

I would suggest one read ones warranty policy manual on the subject of service requirements and the interval at which they should be performed. Particularly the extensive requirements of 15K and 30K service, while under the B2B warranty that offer the most extensive converge for the vehicle ;)
mike

Just curious - did you do anything unusual before the shocks failed - major bump, overload the vehicle? I destroyed a pair on shock on the rear of my 2001 Mustang when I drove through the mother of all potholes. The dealer replaced the shocks under warranty without any question, but I am certain it was the pot hole that did them in. I was just glad it didn't break the rear axle (it was one horrible pothole). If you had some extreme event that damaged the shocks, it is possible it also damaged the wheel bearings. If not, then it would be my guess you have noisy tires. Since you say the "warranty just expired" I assume you now have over 36,000 miles? Might be time to think about replacing the tires. To check the wheel bearing, jack up the rear of the car, and spin the tires. If the bearing are going, you should be able to feel some roughness when you spin them.
Ed
Ed
No, I didn't hit anything or do anything unusual to cause the shoks to fail. The car has only 26,000 miles on it. The Escape has always been noisey, but seems to be worse now. Bad wheel bearings at 26000 miles seems odd to me. I will have them checked. By the way, I have had cars with bad wheel bearings before. Typically the whining noise changes as you make turns, and this is more or less constant so perhaps it is te tires. They are Continental Tires (I think)
On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 08:44:05 -0400, "C. E. White"

I changed the Conti's off my '02 Escape for that very reason. They were OK when first I bought it, but at ~25K miles, they became noisy, whiney, and tractionless. I put Firestone Destination LE's on and have no complaints after another 25K miles. They're still quiet, I get very good traction on wet, dry, or sandy roads, and they show hardly any wear at all.
SC Tom
Thanks for your post. I'm hoping it's only the tires. I will probably change them soon. They still have a lot of tread but they are very noisey