$3.00 per gallon gasoline. Why is everyone so panicked?

Page 3 of 6  
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 02:11:07 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:


Why did france continue to build nuclear power plants?
Why do other countries in general desperately want fuel to build these plants? Please, don't speak of the "bomb", you know I'm speaking of countries that are known friends of the world.
Yuka Mountain was designated as a waste disposal area for nuclear products from those plants. It's gigantic facility and very very safe.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bob Brown <.> wrote:

You are very very funny.
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 22:38:04 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

I noticed when I state a FACT you just chuckle. At least you didn't call me a name or insult me. You might be getting better?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bob Brown <.> wrote:

Your stated "fact" is not necessarily a true fact. You are not getting any better.
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 22:41:24 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

You're likely far more pleasant in person. Of course you only are because it keeps you safe.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bob Brown <.> wrote:

I am not more pleasant to liars in person. Whether you post lies on Usenet, or come up with them in person, I typically tell people it isn't appropriate.
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"Bob Brown" <.> wrote in message (Floyd L.

Actually, people tend to be quite nasty on the web. So don't take what people say personally. Teenagers are really especially bad.
Jeff
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Except of course, Bob is responding to articles which were 1) not at all nasty, and 2) posted by a gray haired old fellow who was a teenager decades before Usenet existed.
Bob just thinks he has a right to post fabricated "facts" (such as Alaska is half the size of the Lower-48, and oil companies are not allowed to drill in most of Alaska) to support his opinion, and is upset that he was called on it.
Bob now wants to discuss my personality rather than the issues that started the discussion. That is because while I can post references that prove his fabricated facts about oil/alaska/etc are false, what can I say when he says I'm mean and nasty and scared to fight with him?
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 06:29:46 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

I never said you were afraid or scared. I did however think it interesting you speak the way you do yet live in a very remote part of our country.
I'll end this if you're willing to end it?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bob Brown <.> wrote:

Why is it you just can't be honest about *anything*?
"You're likely far more pleasant in person. /Of/ /course/ /you/ /only/ /are/ /because/ /it/ /keeps/ /you/ /safe/."
Hilarious, but that's what you did say. Veiled, but there it is.

Eh? Your exposure seems to be extremely limited.
In a small community public perception of your integrity becomes a very significant factor. People who fabricate their own set of "facts", the way you do, don't do well.
Nobody would dare trust you; and cooperative efforts with neighbors is pretty much the most universal characteristic of being successful in an environment as harsh and unforgiving as we have.
Just to add even more clarity, *you* don't have a clue as to why I live where I do, what it is like to live where I do, or how to even so much as stay alive where I do! You wouldn't make it.

Then why don't you simply stop posting such silly comments?
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Gas companies making enormous profits - something tells me - PRICE GOUGING. ITS WILD - ITS WILD MANNNNN !!!!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Nuclear waste disposal is merely a political problem, not a scientific problem, in the US. The rest to the world is years ahead of US in producing their electricity with, safe, clean, efficient pollution free nuclear power and using technology developed in teh US to do so.
The environuts have prevented proper safer disposal nuclear waste in the US. As a result all of the nuclear material that has been used to generate electricity, from day one, still must be stored on site, under six feet of water. .
Ask any US sailor if they are afraid of the nuclear power they have used for 65 years. Only the ignorant or uninformed are afraid of nuclear power . ;)
mike
"Bob Brown" <.> wrote in message (Floyd L.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
(Floyd L.

I suppose all those people who lived near Cheronoble are "ignorant or uninformed." Or dead. And for a period when Carter was President, people didn't think too much of nuclear power around your state capital, especially around an island that is about 5 km long. If I recall correctly, the nuclear power plants that were there no longer have a license to operate.
New designs have been made so that events like the ones I mentioned above are much less likely to happen. Both events were the result of human error, like not believing gauges. And reactors are better designed so that they shut off automatically when there is a loss of power to the cooling pumps or whatever.
It is not true that nuclear plants are totally clean. They make a lot of waste heat, which often ends up in streams. Fish don't like this too much, because oxygen dissolves better in cold water than warm water. There are other enviornmental costs, like the fuel used by the construction equipment, the trees that are cleared for power distribution, and the disposal of the plants after their useful life.
Nuclear waste is dangerous for thousands of years. I will be dust long before the nuclear waste has decomposed. Before finding a final resting place for it, we need to make sure that the resting place with be stable for thousands and thousands of years.
I didn't know the Navy used nuclear power during WWII (2007 - 65 = 1942 - just after the US joined the war). That was even before we bombed Japan with a nuclear bomb. Gee,and I thought all the subs and air craft carriers were diesel back in the war. I can't wait until the Intrepid is back in dock in NYC. I will ask to see the nuclear reactors. ;-)
Jeff
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Is that the best you can do? Obviously I meant to type 45 years since the Nautilus was commissioned. Like I said only the ignorant or uninformed are afraid of nuclear power. To mention Chernobyl and Three Mile Island in the same breath proves one is indeed "ignorant or uninformed." The largest circulation newspaper the New York Daily News, back then, ran a front page headline the boldly proclaimed "Danger of Nuclear Explosion at TMI" that also proves the media is "ignorant or uninformed." as well.
Two atomic bombs were dropped on Japan and "People" still live in Hiroshima and Nagasaki since they were rebuilt after the war "People" still live near Chernobyl and the second reactor at TMI never was out of operation. It is currently providing folks in eastern Pa some of its low-cost, safe, efficient power, along with the Nuke plant up river at Berwick. ;)
Nuclear power currently supplies around 80% of the electricity in Japan, around 90% in France yet only 20% in the US. Conversely Bituminous coal, which IS pollution, provides around 53% in the US. If we can get to 80% 0r 90% the vast majority of our pollution will be eliminated
The environuts, who are so afraid of nuclear power, would prefer we breath only on every other day to reduce C02 to save the world from global warming ;)
mike
.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Considering all the things you get wrong (like the first digit of the VIN), it was obvious that you got the nuclear power use wrong. What you mean is not obvious, however. And it was 55 years ago, on Jan. 17, 1955 that the first nuclear sub was launched, not 45 as you said. You got it wrong twice. May I make a suggestion: Check things quickly on the internet before posting.
In years past, I read a lot about the TMI incident. The officials in charge did not know if the plant was going to blow up or not. I give President Carter a lot of credit for going there. And he knew the risks of nuclear power; he was qualified to command a Navy nuclear sub, but he left the service after his father died before he could become a sub skipper. Thank you for correcting me about TMI 2. I had thought it was decommissioned; obviously, I was mistaken.
Considering the risks of nuclear, I disagree that saying "Chernobyl and TMI" in the same breath as nuclear power is not ignorant. The risks are great. So is the potential for benefit. And people will remember the emergency at TMI and Chernobyl for a long time. Many people were killed at Chernobyl. And many people are expected to suffer from the emergency. Chernobyl was a result of poor management and oversight at a power plant.
I do have to take issue with your characterization of people as "environuts." There are a lot of people who are very concerned about the environment of this planet. Considering that we all have to breath the air on this planet, I don't think their concerns are unfounded, at all.
And many environmentalists are realizing that nuclear power is safe, cheap, and relatively clean. (No power is totally clean: even windmills kill birds and require fossil fuels to build and maintain them.)
Personally, I think nuclear power is the way to go. By using standardized designs, the cost of building and running the plants is relatively cheap. And the cost of review and licensing is cheap, too, because a group of twenty plants can be reviewed more cheaply than twenty different plants. And when safety issues come up at one plant, we will know how to fix all the plants.
However, there needs to be a long-term fix for the nuclear waste disposal problem. Yucca Mountain is not scheduled to open for about 10 years. And the Senate Majority Leader does not want the mountain to open ever.
Jeff
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
What's your point? Chernobyl was not a light or heavy water facility and it was not US technology, did not have a containment building. You comments appear ignorant or uninformed that keep going around in circles . In the nuclear sense a nuclear power plant can't "blow up" any differently than any other.
We al all environmentalists in that we do not want to $#it were we eat. The environuts on the other hand do not want us to eat so we don't need to deal with the $#it When one mentions nuclear power the environuts go.......well nuts Like I said from the beginning, nuclear waste disposal is a political problem not a scientific problem.
mike

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Calling people names, like environuts is so kindergarten, Mike.
The technology of Chernobyl was different. The risks, however, of nuclear power are real.
Nuclear waste disposal is both a scientific problem, because the site must remain safe for thousands of years, and a political problem. Why don't we just dump the waste into a repository in your back yard, Mike?
Jeff
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

All technology has risk. Millions of people are killed by coal and oil power every year, but no one bothers thinking about that. Nuclear is one of the safest methods of generating power per KW/hr.

If its in the concrete storage cask, you can stick it in my backyard or my basement. Through the magic of discounting I can revisit the issue in 100 or 200 years and either reseal the cask or extract the spent fuel for profit.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You and I will be dust in 100 years (well, I will be cremated). If you're in a casket, at best, you'll be a stinking mass of bacteria and worm poop.
But the radioactive waste will still be there. And the way that some people will try to make money is to sell the spent fuel to terrorists, who can try to put the fuel into a conventional bomb, to spread radioactivity around (called a dirty-bomb).
Jeff
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
At least say in my opinion because you have no idea of what you are talking about on the subject of the nuclear power industry. Perhaps you might want to do a search about how nuclear waste is treated even before it will be transported to be stored at Yucca Mountain, then get back to us. You might also look to see how much less protection is provided, before it gets to a nuke plant. You might ask yourself, where did the nuclear material come from in the first place?
mike
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.