91 Explorer in Ottawa: is it worth anything?

[also posted to rec.*.explorer]
It's time to finally move on from my 1991 Explorer. I'm trying to separate its value from the price of a replacement (no "I'll give you
$5000 for your trade-in but you have to pay retail for the new vehicle"). What, if anything, should I expect as a reasonable trade-in?
It's got <174000km and the inside's in pretty good shape, split-bench front seat and the rear seat has probably no more than 5K km of actual bum-in-seat use (mostly one-person driving). The tires are Michelins, 8yr old but probably only about 80K km on them (there's still tread left). Biggest problem is (of course) the rust, we had serious work done on it back in 1997 or 1998 but it's rusting in the same places again: the front fenders, bottoms of the doors, rocker panels, around the gas cap. A friend estimate C$2-3000 for bodywork, I paid about $2000 the last time so that sounds about right.
Had its first DriveClean (emissions) test back in January 2004 and passed with flying colours. Air conditioning still works.
1991 Explorer XL with automatic, cruise control, air conditioning, rear defroster, silver with blue interior.
Does this have any value as a trade? Is its value so low that it's more valuable for parts (e.g. someone needs new seats or some other part)?
Any advice will be appreciated, I'm hoping to buy something new this month and hope to now if they're lying when they say it has no value (I assume no dealer will actually _want_ it if they can get cash from me instead).
Thanks!
andrew [ snipped-for-privacy@wwwebbers.com]
--
for PGP public key, send email with "send public key" as subject

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 19:53:16 -0400, Andrew Webber

Realistic trade in value here in Central Ontario for a rusty 2 wheel drive explorer is about $500.00 A 4X4 is worth about double that.
Likely worth twice that in parts, to the right person(s).

I'm in Ottawa too. You'd most likely be better off posting it on ott.forsale.vehicles, see if you get any takers. You might find someone fron Quebec who'll pick it up for a winter beater (easy safety in quebec, so the rust won't really matter, and no driveclean over there).
If you could manage to get it saftied here, you'd get an quick $1000 for it. virtually any vehicle that's got a safety and an etest will get $1000.