EEC IV read out on Ford Escort 1996

I've been trying to read out the EEC IV fault codes on my Ford Escort 1996 1.6 using a digital voltmeter (see http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/star.htm )
But unfortunately I get no read-out - does anyone know if the signals might be too fast for my digital voltmeter to keep up?
I've now bought an LED, resistor and switch - and ordering a male OBDII connector (which is hard to find...) -- and will continue my hunt for the fault codes with this ;-)
/Jakob
OBD II should be read with a proper scan tool. The EEC-IV uses the meter and jumper trick. A 1996 should be EEV-V...
Where I live, stores like AutoZone will read the codes for free...
Hope this helps - PoD

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 21:02:32 GMT, "Paul of Dayton"

Form his message headers, it looks like he is in Europe where the EEC-IV system may have been produced for the '96 model year. If his connector is like the one he referenced in the link, it seems it would be EEC-IV, I believe, which would require an OBD-II scanner to read.

Thanks Lugnut. I fired off my mouth without thinking again...
PoD

The manuals I have referencing the EEC IV refer to the use of an analog VOM, not a digital unit. Codes are read by counting the sweeps across the meter's face.
And, according to the link you provided, some control systems still used the OBD I connector. Refer to http://dalidesign.com/hbook/eectest.html for the hook-up.
Best of luck. EEC IV systems can be a bugger to troubleshoot. Report your results, please.
Mike
Thanks a bunch guys
Sorry - I forgot to tell that I'm european; or danish to be more specific -- and so is the car ;-)
But a post regarding EEC IV readout in a danish car newsgroup has so far been fruitless. Hence the post to a wider audience ;-)
I don't think car tweaking is as popular in Denmark as elsewhere - probably partly due to the high cost of cars here.
Jakob Dalsgaard wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:42:44 +0200, Jakob Dalsgaard

Jakob
If you find a site with good information in another language, you may be able to use Google.com language services to translate it into what you need.
Good luck!
Lugnut