ford escort hesitation

I have a 99 escort which stumbles noticably on light acceleration between approximately 40 and 80 kms.hr.
I have been told this is a common problem and I'd like to fix it myself as
money's tight. Has anyone experienced this problem and what was the solution.
BTW it has been getting worse over the past couple of months, and I have replaced plugs, fuel and air filters