Fuel problems????

I have an 1989 Ford Ranger 2.9 5 speed. It starts and idles fine, but when I go to take off and let out the clutch the engine boggs down. I have to push the clutch back in and rev the engine up to about 5000
rpm's and then let the clutch out slowly. Then, once I'm get going, it starts jerking. Same thing when changing gears. Has anyone had this problem?? Please help. Thanks!
Is this engine fuel injected or carb?
How new or old is the fuel filter?
Any EEC-IV codes coming up with a reader?
Matt
It is fuel injected and the filter is new. As far as EEC-IV codes, I've never heard of those. Sorry.
Check fuel pressure.

Yep, check the fuel pressure first.
Pretty sure you have a Ford EEC-IV system in your vehicle. These are the sensors, etc. that feed data to your truck's computer, which it uses to control idle speed, air/fuel mixture, egr, etc., etc.
You can go to an autozone and have them scan the computer's memory for any trouble codes. If any are present, post the results here and you'll probably get some feedback.
Matt
Will do. Thanks!