Help, screwed up 2000 stang

I was originally trying to give the 3.8 stang a tune up, and also fix a problem with insufficient EGR simultaneously. I had already replaced the TPS, EGR Valve, EGR Vacuum Solinoid, and DPFE Sensor, respectively and not
had any luck. I did some research and decided to take off the intake plenum and check for deposits. None There! Then changed out the plugs while I had the room to get to them and pulled off the pipe that leads from the exhaust to the EGR valve and check it, not too bad. Never found any deposits or blockage, and put everything back together. Now the F&*%er won't start. Turns and starts to fire, then turns again. Removed all spark plugs (new ones), and checked and wiped them dry, one looked a little wet with fuel. I even turned the engine while I had each spark plug out to clear excess fuel. I don't have an OBDII. Is there anything I can check before buying an OBDII or towing it to a garage. I hate paying for things I can do, maybe that's how I screwed up in the first place. And yes, all of the vacuum hoses are connected correctly. These newer cars make it hard to put hoses and clips in the wrong places.
Not familiar with this engine, but if you took the intake apart did you see a large air tube between the air box and the throttle body? Perhaps it is not seated correctly and too much unmetered air is entering the intake? I know that would stall my Escort real quick. Just a suggestion...