ignition key cylinder

I have a 1990 Grand Marquis GS 5.0 EFI. Starting today when I go to shut down the car the key sticks in the cylinder and I have to force the cylinder back in the position to remove the key. Going forward at startup is no problem, it is just in removing the key position.

Questions are. Is this repairable or do I need to replace the cylinder? If I replace the cylinder, is there a walk-through on the net somewhere to help me through it?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Reply to
twister

I doubt it is the same but here goes. If there is an additional hole in the bottom of the trim piece at the bottom of the steering wheel you are in business. First turn the key so it is in the "run" position. For my windstar van and other fords i'm told you would take a 1/8 inch punch and insert it into this hole and push up on the pin holding the ignition cyclinder. To make it easier remove the screws holding this trim piece so you can actually see that you are actually pushing up the pin. When you have pushed up the pin you gently wiggle the ignition cyclinder out. If the cylinder is in good shape it may be the lil arm that moves with the igniton and activates the switch. While you have the ignition cyclinder out put some lube on it. White grease i believe is what you would use. Does your steering have tilt ? Oh and also UNHOOK the battery before you do any of what i'm recommending.

Reply to
Seller

Thanks a lot. Will update after I give it a look.

Reply to
twister

Damn i just noticed something. Grease the arm or slide thingy inside the column. NOT the lock cyclinder. Gonna have to fire my proof-reader.

Reply to
Seller

Got it.

Reply to
twister

Got it as in you got the cylinder out or not to grease the cylinder. Let me know as i have to go to the library tomorrow to return a chilton manual. I can take a moment to check on your car if that was not how you get it out for your ford. Replacement cyclinders can be bought at your local ford. They should even be able to rekey it so you only need one key. That said i'm just going to take it to the local locksmith here in town. Ford wanted $35 to rekey it.

Reply to
Seller

Got it, meaning I got your info changes. The cylinder is still in. Here in NYC it is 10 degrees and we are expecting vver a foot of snow to start any minute now, blizzard warning. so I most probably won't get to it until next week. Thanks for the updates and all the information!

Reply to
twister

Frosty here last night too. Minus 30 Celcius. Glad i remembered to take the brass monkey inside lol. I'll have to return to the library soon so i'll have a quick look to see if it is the same. If not i'll post the correct method here. Snowing alot at the moment. Storm started about an hour or so ago and looks like we are due for alot of snow. I'm doing the smart thing. Grab a coffee and sit at my balcony window and watch the snow. Take care

Reply to
Seller

Just got shoveled out today and took a look. From what I can see there is no extra pinhole to remove the cylinder. I guess I have to remove the cowl and see what awaits me. Oh, and yes it is a tilt wheel.

Reply to
twister

I'll see if i can't find the manual for that vehicle at the library next time i go. Still putting the van back together after fixing the broken ignition actuator arm. That was a real "treat". Kinda cold to work on it so i'm doing it in stages unfortunately. Finally got the lil wire back on that moves the indicator so you know what gear you are in by looking. Easy street now as i just have to put three parts back on (basically trim and metal plates) and i'm finished and on to my next chore. I need to troubleshoot the egr system. It looks like a bad dpfe sensor (ok that might not be the right letters). After that i need to fix the abs. It kicks on at low speed when i've almost stopped. Either a relay or a broken ring gear thing. I hate a vehicle that turns into a winter project.

Reply to
Seller