No start - motorcraft 2150 carb

Fires up good after some pumping but will not start unless I pour some gas down the carb then it starts and runs but I must keep it at a fast idle
until warm or it will stall.
Other info:
Sometimes backfires and flame activity on top of carb Choke is closed Fuel bowl is full Fuel pressure to carb is ok Coil wire spark looks strong (blue/white) Gas squirts into carb when pumped Carb has been disassembled and cleaned Problem occurred suddenly Some gas leakage around base of carb where it contacts the gasket
Is it possible the gasket(s) are leaking causing a lean condition preventing starting?