Re: My TEMPO Won't start - Help!

1994 Tempo, starter won't engage. Battery and starter are good, replaced the cylanoid, it still won't turn over the starter. It worked fine until we had 40 below wind chills!! HELP!!

sueoja wrote:

Is it spinning?

OK... how do you know the starter is good? Battery?

try by-passing the "cylanoid" (it's a solenoid here in the US).

If a direct connection to the starter won't crank, a bad starter or bad ground are in order...

As you know, as an inanimate non-living object, your car does not care what the wind chill factor is/was.
Rob
yes, the starter is spinning. you can definately hear that. but it isn't engaging with the flywheel. has a new $48 silanoid on the starter. any clues?
sueoja wrote:

Take a look at the gear on the starter itself (bendix gear). If the shaft -is- extending out of the starter to engage the the flywheel (get a flashlight, and have someone tap the key), the bendix gear may be worn down. In that case, you need a new starter.
Also, is the flywheel or flexplate missing teeth? Take a good look around down there and see what's happening. You don't need to get your face right in it; just get a good view of the flexplate or flywheel first, and if it isn't missing teeth, then have a trustworthy partner hit the key for you and see what the starter does.
The starter on my '89 has worked without fail for the last 75,000 miles, and is now at 201,000. I have no idea how old it actually is.
--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65
sueoja wrote:

Needs a new starter.
Rob
But the starter is spinning. How could it be that i need a new starter. Its just that the silinoid isn't kicking the gear out and its brand new. Worked fine outside the car. Once I installed it, then the gear wouldn't kick out.

You wrote the answer: "...the gear wouldn't kick out."
Jeff
The gear doesn't kick out because the silinoid is not pushing it. The gear slides out easily by hand when the starter is out of the car. So I know its not stuck. Also the silinoid worked fine when I had the starter out of the car. Its not even clicking like a silinoid usualy does.

How did you wire the silly-noid when it was out of car?
Check wires for breaks, shorts. Check all connections. Etc, etc.
Puddin'

are you ever a FOCTARD there is a pull in and hold in coil inside ya foctard the hold one is SHOT
for god sakes dont fix a car you are dangerious
h u r c
Sounds like his Tempo has lost its rthym...hee hee.