Snow tires on a Mustang

Page 1 of 2
I haven't bought snow tires since the early 70's, and that was for my 68 Mustang. My 2006 is even worse in the snow, so I'm considering snows.
I see ads for the Bridgestone 'Blistix' or something like that. Any good?
Does anyone have any strong feelings one way or another about any specific snow tires?
Mike

I run the Blizzak WS60's on my 06. Night and day difference. No issues at all with the car in the snow with them on, without em, just a sled.
Brian V wrote:

How many miles can you put on them before the tread is worn out?

I'm going on season 3 with them, probably be the last. 12-15k or so.
The soft rubber will wear off at around 15,000, then they are no better than regular tires. At that point one can just let them on through the summer, WBMS

I guess that would depend on how often one spins the tires to impress the girls ;)

higher aspect ratio. In the slop we get around here half the winter, even wide SNOW tires act like flying saucers. But on 4 good narrow snows, and drive accordingly.
Sounds good. I ordered a set from TireRack.com

Mike Y wrote:

Did you get rims from Tirerack as well or do you know some one local who is willing to do the work?
The place I bought the Mustang will do the mounting for me. I probably would have bought rims, but I didn't see any that match the ones on my car. I've looked...

NOT put only 2 snows on!!!! You need to steer and stop more than you need to go.
Loss of steering control is not generally a problem with a RWD vehicle. Loss of steering control is the alkalis heel problem of FWD vehicles, caused by engine braking.

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 11:32:26 -0500, "Mike Hunter"

transmission car in wet sloppy conditions. I've driven several million KMs, slightly less than half in winter, and about half on rear drive vehicles - although my first was Front drive. In the early years I just put snows on the front - but once I had driven with snows on all 4, I'd never go back to rear only.

For FWD vehicles that is the ideal set up.

Mike Hunter wrote:

Alkali? Isn't that chemistry, like acids and bases?
Gee, next you will be talking about salting the roads.

Thank goodness there are plenty of guys, like our friend dr_jeff that do not have a lift, that can hang out in the NGs and do my proof reading for us. Keep it up, it saves me the trouble LOL
Salt is only used above 10 degrees.

Mike Hunter wrote:

Actually, I do have a lift (elevator) at work, but I would rather take the stairs.
BTW, I have a life, too.

I can hardly believe it, our friend dr_jeff actually took time from his busy practice to proof read another one of my post, I'm flattered. ;)

Mike Hunter wrote:

I am so glad you noticed!
jeff

I can hardly believe it, our friend dr_jeff actually took time from his busy practice to reply to my post, I'm flattered. ;)