2001 Focus Zetec 1.8 Tddi - Stuttering In 2nd Gear (UK)

Just bought a 2001 Focus at the weekend, everything was ok at the start, but the past few days whenever I change up into 2nd gear the car 'stutteres'. It also in 3rd but not to the same degree.
I'm hoping it's just me and it'll just take time to 'learn' how to drive the Focus!
Is this a common problem? Is it the car or the driver :-)