direction indicators won't cancel

The plastic ring that cancels the indicators, fitted to the steering column has broken, I know this to be a common problem with focus's, question is how easy is it to replace assuming you have to remove the steering wheel?

Reply to
Bilbo

I have never heard of this problem on a Focus before - indeed it's rare on any of today's vehicles, but be very careful of any work around the steering column of vehicles with airbags. Those things can be extremely dangerous, and should only be touched by people with the proper training and equipment.

Reply to
Dave Gower

fixed under warranty and the dealer told him its a known problem on the focus, along with seized rear wheel bearings that shear the splines on the stub axle!

Reply to
Bilbo

Sorry if it's too late now: I've only just read your post. I had the same problem, obtained the part relatively cheaply from Ford (under £30)and replaced it myself. Not too difficult but I recommend following instructions (as I did from the Haynes manual) which will draw your attention to hazards/dangers working around air bags etc. - you do need to be careful. I think they recommned disconnecting battery which is a pain because of the consequences of this. I also bought myself a torque wrench as taking the steering wheel off it is very important to refit it properly to the right settings! Any doubts though, and get your dealer to do it: it's not a long job so shouldn't be too expensive.

Reply to
Mike2

"Bilbo" wrote

Maybe over there in Olde Blighty, but not here in the colonies to the best of my knowledge. The issue is the softness of the plastic, and with improved plastics this problem largely vanished in the 80s. Maybe Ford of Europe got a bad batch.

I would challenge your dealer on that one, if indeed he was implying that wheels have actually fallen off. It was a recall issue only. In fact, the rear bearing would become unbearably noisy and rough before the wheel sheared off, so no one would drive that long. That will be familiar to anyone who's ever tried to limp home with a failing bearing.

Reply to
Dave Gower