More Central Locking Problems - UK Focus 1.6 Zetec 1999

Thanks for all the info you gave me the other night regarding my central door locking problems....
Think the fuse was certainly one of my problems...
We now have the locking working to a point....
The problem now is that when I press the "lock" button on the key once the door locks fine...
When I press it twice (to activate the dead lock ?), there is a "mmh" sound and not the crisp click that I normally get....
I'm guessing but I don't think the dead locks are on.....
Any more help would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks Colin
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 21:15:08 -0000, "Colin A"

moment, put the key in the lock and turn it once to lock the doors and a second time to put on the deadlocks. If the sound is what you expect then that would seem to prove that the key isn't functioning properly. HTH
--
MCC

Thanks for the info very helpful...
It's taken another twist now...
The boot and the drivers door open fine with the key, I can open the passenger door from the inside, but I cannot open the rear doors at all...?
Very odd stuff....

This possibly invalidates your insurance regards third-party claims by passengers in the event of an accident.
Why cant Ford build locks that last over about 2 years? No recent Ford I've had hasn't had some lock failure.
My current (2001) Focus will not lock if parked downhill. At least it's in warranty.

Are you sure that the same (uncorrected) electrical fault hasn't blown the fuse again? Has the a "mmh" sound stopped?
The handbook says in the event of an electrical failure the front doors can still be opened with the key. The manual suggests that the key turn direction is reversed for opposite sides of the car.
> but I cannot open the rear doors at all...?
If the childproof locks are on you will not be able to open the rear doors from the inside. If the fuse for the locks have failed again then you will not be able to open them from the outside. Turning off the childproof locks requires the key in the hole in the lock - only accessible with the doors open.
If the fuse has gone again and you replace it try opening _all_try doors and closing them again before attempting the dead lock position in case the problem is something simple as incorrectly aligned lock mechanism due a door that isn't fully closed thus causing the lock motors to stall, taking more current, and blowing the fuse
Get two fuses in case you inadvertently dead lock the doors while they are still open and the replacement fuse blows again leaving one or more doors in the locked state :(
--
Alan