Speedo Blip

I was driving down the A2 last week doing 50mph (ish) and my speedo dropped to zero for about 30 seconds. Is this bad new,.
Helpful comment and advice appreciated

Brains wrote:

Well, possibly not good news ;-)
Failure of the Vehicle Speed Sensor, mounted on the transmission, is very common on earlier cars. It's a bit difficult to get to, and fiddly to remove, but can be done from under a vehicle supported on ramps. It took me about 20 mins to replace mine. Replacements are allegedly improved.
It *might* just be the connector close to it that needs unplugging, cleaning up and reconnecting...
Bottom line - about 25UKP if you DIY, around 100UKP for a dealer to do it.
One other point; if you decide to do it yourself make certain you get a new retaining pin when you get the sensor. It doesn't come with it and may need to be ordered in. You *will* destroy the old one on removal!
More info here:
http://tinyurl.com/nkptu
HTH
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 08:05:01 GMT, Chris Whelan

Thanks