ATT: Top Poster re:bigger tires...

thinking on this today. Can I keep my cheapie stock Gabriels, leave the suspension alone, and put some big, FAT tires on my '82 F-100 longbed? Cheapest wheel switchoff? Cheapest tires? I don't want to get into wheel adapters unless I have to (are they safe?) I'll be on some rough roads this spring in the Appalachians... thanks!! Paul

Reply to
paulmbedard

Your biggest issue will be with the backspacing of your wheels (no, I personally don't consider wheels spacers to be safe). The fatter the tire, the less backspacing the wheel must have or you will rub your wheel wells, steering components, etc. There is a tradeoff though, the further you push out the wheel and the more mass the tire/wheel has, the more wear you will put on wheel bearings and such. Just be reasonable. Aluminum wheels will weigh less, but most likely cost more than steel. Heavier duty shocks will of course be better, but unless you plan on driving the Baja, you should be fine with the susp./shock combo you have.

Check TireRack, Discount Tire, Four Wheel Drive Wholesalers for wheel/tire combos and prices you like.

snipped-for-privacy@earthl> thinking on this today. Can I keep my cheapie stock Gabriels, leave the

Reply to
TopPoster

Really big tires are posers, bog racing, hill climb competition, stuff like that. MOSTLY for posers. If you're going to be on a rough road, 31-10.50's will be plenty big, and the stock wheels will be fine. If you don't want to get stuck, then look where you're going and plan not to get stuck.

Most folks who get stuck 4-wheeling do so by trying to go the most ridiculous way possible, for the fun of it. It's part of the sport. You don't have to do that if you don't want to.

Reply to
Joe

like driving my Gamma Goat (M581 6x6) thru a swamp to pull out another GG that went in first, Or the time I pulled an army jump out of a clay bog that was a road before it rained with my VW Bug (true story!)

Dave

Mir welle bleiwe wat mir sin (Letzebuergesch)

Reply to
Ghabi wa Madbul wa Nitten

oops Jeep. sorry I worked 93 hours this week and so typing skills are diminished, LOL