Check my math?

Hello everyone, I just bought a 2000 model, F350XL Superduty cab and chassis (regular cab), V10, 4x4, dually, with the long frame (84" CA, 16?.?" WB). I am trying to corroborate my numbers for the approximate curb weight of this truck. Some local mechaincs keep insisting that this truck, as it sits, weighs 8,000 lbs or more and I kept telling them they are nuts. I havent been able to find any specs on this specific truck but I can find curb weights for a 2000, F350SD, 4x4, supercab, dually, long bed. That truck is listed with a curb weight just shy of 6800lbs.. My logic has been that the factory bed and the additional weight of the supercab/rear bench/and associated gee gaws, could be as much as 1000 lbs. total (bed and supercab over regular cab). This brings me to the numbers I have been using for this truck of around 5800-6000lbs. Do those sound realistic? I am concerned as I am putting a 24" Knapheide Knapac box immediately behind the cab followed by a 9' dump and hoist. I am estimating my additions to weight approx. 2100lbs. This would put me at or around 8K curb weight allowing me about 2 tons payload. Any information any of you may have is greatly appreciated.

Mark

Reply to
M&S

Do you have a rock quarry nearby?

If so, ask if you can ride across the scales.

I do it every time I get a new trailer or new equipment, so I can buy the correct weighted tags.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I have an '05 F-350 diesel ... crew cab, 4x4. Curb weight is 7.6K.

RCE

Reply to
RCE

Forgot to mention ... mine's not a dually ... single rear wheels.

RCE

Reply to
RCE

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 01:08:49 +0000, M&S rearranged some electrons to form:

Instead of guessing, why not weigh it? Most truck stops have scales.

Reply to
David M

I am putting the truck together as we speak so weighing it was not really an option until I get it legal. I had thought about throwing a set of temporary flaps on it, wiring up some temporary lights, and driving the 1.5 hours to the nearest scales (we are in a bit of a remote locale) but then came to my senses.

The question of weight was not one of a few hundred pounds here or there it was more a question of 6k vs. 8+k. Once I get the body mounted I will be running across scales on a regular basis so I will have an accurate weight.

Everyone locally throwing around these 8k numbers had me second guessing my math and worrying that I would be going through all the effort and expense of mounting the body, pto, wiring, and so on, to end up with a 1 ton payload. Not really worth it.

After doing more research I cant find a single F350SD (gas), DRW or SRW, since the SD's came out that weighs in excess of 6900lbs or so on paper. Going with a diesel changes that which is one of the reasons I didnt want one.

I appreciate all of your input, Mark

Reply to
M&S

Filling the tank on my Excursion puts me just over 7K...found out after I filled up on the Pennsylvania Turnpike last summer and once I came to the exit I had to pay a Class 2 toll. Doh! Exit when tank is 1/4 full puts me in Class 1. (7000# is the cutoff)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

You are correct. 6000 lb is very realistic if not high considering the regular cab and no bed whatsoever.

To solve your problem, you should probably just weigh it. Go to the gravel quarry, or a scrap yard, or someplace like that. Somebody will be willing to weight it for you.

Reply to
Joe

They WEIGH you at the turnpike checkout?

Reply to
Steve Barker

Just go to a farmer grain mill as they all have very accurate scales to weight grain in trailers and trucks. That is where i weight mine. I am guessing it should be around 6600 lbs or so

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

You drive over a scale when you get to the toll booth, that's how they know what class to charge. It might have been Ohio, now that I think of it, but it was on the way from Detroit to DC.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

You could also try a large landscaping supplier (eggrock, gravel, mulch, etc.) You drive on the scale, then drive off to get loaded, then drive on to get your loaded weight, they charge for the difference unloaded and loaded. One near me was nice enough to let me use their scale to weight my trailer.

Also found out my old F250 weight about 6500#.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Yup the pa turnpike has imbedded "scales" at the toll booths. They are not dead accurate, like say a CAT scale house, but then they are only to make sure they charge correctly. There has been talk over the years of upgrading to more accurate scales in an attempt to catch trucls running over weight, or trucks with tag axles running loaded with the axles up to avoid paying proper toll.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning