SELF DIAGNOSTICS

i been thinking,,dangerous i know,,,but..why dont car and truck makers put a screen on cars/trucks that tell you exactly what is wrong with it when a problem arises ?? the information is in the vehichle computer,,but you need an expensive tool to get it out. so you gotta go to a dealer or a really good independent. bendex has had a little screen on antilock air brake systems for 7-8 years now..you use a magnet pencil on the screen to navigate the diagnosis.ive seen it on some school buses. i think this ideas time has come.. lucas

ds549

Because in most owner's cases, as in 80% or better, it would be as dangerous as an AutoZone sales clerk with a code scanner. Just because a sensor is out of range does not mean the sensor is bad.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 22:27:25 -0400, ds549 rearranged some electrons to form:

Cost. An OBD2 connector is much cheaper. Plus, most owners are ignorant of what is under the hood, so they would be just as likely to ignore what the "screen" is telling them as they are of ignoring the "check engine" light.

Reply to
David M

We have 3 scanners at the shop; and plugging them in doesn't tell you what's wrong, only clues to what may be wrong. Like going to a Dr. the fever is only a clue he has to look at other things and do other tests and make an educated guess. And maybe he (or we) find the real problem

Reply to
Stephen H

You can check the tool out much the same as checking out a library book.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I'm okay, you're not.

That's self diagnostics.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Wait.....There's something missing in your sig. I don't see your "Red Seal" listed ;-}

OK now it's Hurc's turn....

I'm just being a wisea**

Reply to
I. Care

That is such a good question! Cadillac started doing that in 1982 if not sooner, but that's the only car I've ever seen with that feature. I had an

83 - it would display every digital input and output in the system, and every engine variable. It's incredible the stuff you can fix when you have that.

I say it's the only proper way to use diagnostic information. Display it in the car itself, so that the display is designed to be capable of showing it.

I can't imagine why they wouldn't agree with me. It's just so much easier that way.

Reply to
Joe