Timing Belt or Timing Chain

Hi - I have a 1997 Ford Ranger 2.3 Liter Engine with a 5 Speed Automatic transmission. I bought this truck *used* about 2 years ago when it had

97,000 miles on it.

Right now is has a bit over 140,000.

Question 1 - Does this engine have a timing belt or timing chain?

I have no idea if the timing chain/belt has ever been replaced.

Question 2 - If it has a timing belt, should I take it in now to have it replaced?

BTW - this truck runs great.

Thanks

Joe

Reply to
Joe727

Timing belt. The 2.3 is not an interference motor, so if it does break, you won't trash the motor. However, with that kind of mileage and no knowledge of the timing belt's history, I would say at 140k you should change it ASAP to avoid the inconvenience of being stranded.

Reply to
John Myers

Ok - thanks for the info.

Joe

Reply to
Joe727

Similar question: is the '99 2.5 an interference engine?

Reply to
scrape