1993 Buick C V Joint

I have a 93 Buick LaSabre. It has a slight bump, bump, bump in the front end. I thought it could of been from the tires which needed replacement. After new tires were installed the bump is still there. I looked under it and found the right side C V joint boot cover is damaged. My guess again is it needs a new CV joint. Having never done one of these before I am not sure if I should give it a try or take it to a shop.

Any comments on how hard a job this is would be appreciated.

TIA

Reply to
Tim

Its not hard at all. It should not take more than 2 hours in your driveway. Get a Chiltons or Haynes from your local library and read before starting though.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

It isn't all that hard, but you need a book and a decent set of tools.

When you get everything disconnected, the axle should come out pretty easily. ( He says, smiling cunningly!)

When you put the new axle back in, pay attention to the CV joint (many models you can pull it apart, and then the balls and needles fall out on the ground and you are in a heap of shit).

You need to be able to get the boots on, and the bands tightened. It isn't hard to do, but if you dont know how to do it, or are a bit clumsy, think again.

Reply to
<HLS

I have changed the wheel hubs on my 98 GMC Jimmy. Had trouble getting the old hub off. My thinking is that will be the hardest part of the CV Joint repair.

Reply to
Tim

You're right! breaking the hub nut loose requires a lot of torque. What's really not been said in the above posts is that its easiest to just change the axle shaft. That way you get both inner and outer joints replaced, and you don't have to worry about the bits and pieces problem (not to mention contamination) that can happen with a joint assembly.

Good Luck, Mark

Reply to
Mark Sparge

My post presupposed that you would exchange the halfshafts for rebuilt ones.

If you get too strong and don't watch what you are doing, you still may be able to pull the CV joints apart. That is something you really want to avoid.

I used to have a section of 3" pipe 4-6 feet long I used as a cheater bar onto a breakover bar. Still, the nuts can be hard to break.

You can use pincher pliars to install the retainer bands, if this is the way these come. These things look like hoof clippers that horse shoers used to use. I found regular pliars useless, did not have a special tool at the time.

Reply to
<HLS