Bought a Toyota today.

Page 2 of 4
Hey Jetty, sometimes you are nice to me. Read on what you wrote ...
" Howard Cohen wrote:

is
Hi Howard! Wow, that neighbor of yours clings to the past worse than I do! Although, I have owned a '63 Sting Ray for almost 20 years. That's not to say that '63 was the last year was the last time GM built good looking product. *lol* My '63 is almost as high maintenance as my sister-in-law. <looks over shoulder to make sure wife didn't see that comment>
Honda has come a long way. I'll never forget the early Civic that my sister-in-law bought with the infamous "Hondamatic" transmission. I can't remember whether the first rust appeared before or after the transmission had to be rebuilt within the first year of ownership. Because of that early experience, she hasn't bought a Honda since. Too bad really, because I suspect she'd like them better than the VW Jetta that she now drives. It has been a nightmare for her. But there are lemons manufactured by every car company. We all just hope we get one of the good ones!

Gotta love a '64 Valiant. 225 cubic inch slant 6. No computers, no fuel injection system, no ECM, no complicated smog/emissions junk. Just a cap/rotor/coil/plugs/carb. Could convert it to electronic ignition and get rid of the points. My dad bought me a rust free egg shell blue '65 Dart 170 wagon that's waiting for me down at his land in Arizona. We'll rebuild the engine.
Also, what's all the minivan bashing about? I love my minivan. I can carry plywood, materials, tools, ladder on the roof rack. It looks better than an ugly SUV, gets better gas mileage, holds more people/cargo, more versatile, domestic minivans have available AWD, and is cheaper to buy. By the way, Ford is going to stop making the Freestar soon. What a shame. It looks a lot better than the GM and Dodge ninivans. Instead, Ford is going to start making a tall station wagon type vehicle. Man it's weird. In the mid '80's, the automakers were falling over themselves to stop station wagon production to instead make more popular minivans, now the trend has reversed. It's all fads. Back in the '70's when I was growing up, my family had a '72 Plymouth Fury 9 passenger 'Brady Bunch special' wagon with a 318ci that was bought brand new. 10 years later, my mom (divorced from dad) gets it towed because it was parked on the street, and she never bothered to get it out of towing/storage because it ran like crap due to needing a carb rebuild. In the early 80's, a '72 Fury wagon was just a huge car no one wanted. Now, on ebay, they go for big bucks. Trends and fads.
-
Howard Cohen wrote:

Howard, you're scaring me! *LOL* I'm always nice to you now. I haven't uttered a nasty comment in quite some time. In fact, I stopped flaming you when I wrote a message on January 13th. That other message that you responded to yesterday was an older message from January 5th, that you had already responded to on the 7th.
I decided that life is too short to spend a lot of time arguing with someone who doesn't share my opinion on the quality of any given vehicle. Besides, you mentioned that you bought your Sienna because you thought it was the best vehicle to transport your young family around and I happen to think it's commendable for anyone to purchase a vehicle with the best interests of their family in mind. That's why I commented that I really hope that your Sienna gives you and your family years of enjoyment and dependable service.
So quit reading those old messages!!! *LOL*

You're living in the past. Learn a little and bury a bit of your out of date mental blocks.
It will be maintained well, just like the late Taurus. My private friend /mechanic works for GM as a regional warranty rep. He says that Toyotas are very good cars. He was very surprised and concerned that I was able to beat the GM employee price with a comparably equiped Sienna. He also says that GM has improved their quality much in the last 10 years. When I entered the car buying age 25 years ago GM , Ford & Chrysler were pretty crummy crap.
Tell Mr. CoolJet that I did not even bother with his links. One can google any postitive and negative information on just about anything. I know plenty of people with mega miles on Yotas. By the way CoolJet, google my name. Perhaps you will learn something.
Harry, It will take about 9 years for me to get 100K miles so hang on to your e-mail.
Steve, a.k.a. Howard on the net

Howard Cohen wrote:

That's very interesting Howard, since GM's warrantees for all divisions are handled by outsourced agencies! Well, you entered the group under false pretenses and you're leaving with a lie. It's poetic really. ;-)

I'm sure he did Howard. <nudge, nudge, wink, wink> Your close friend from GM's warranty group. Riiiiight! ;-)

Of course you didn't Howard. Riiiight! ;-) No one likes reading how bad a product is that they recently bought. Howard, it's better that you not know the truth. Really. ;-)

Too bad you didn't Google before buying one of those ugly, unreliable little Siennas. You could have saved ourself a world of grief.

Why would I want to do that Howard? I have comfort enough in knowing that I have somehow made a small difference in your life. I am overwhelmed that you have spent so much of your last day in this News Group talking to me. You may want to Google my name (Cool Jet) as well. Perhaps you will learn something. Perhaps not. ;-)

Howard, that Sienna may not make 10,000 miles! Remember Howard: alt.autos.Toyota
No I did not say that. He is a Chevy dealer regional dealer rep. He handles all of the Chevy warranty issues at dealers in this region. Prior to that he worked as an engineer for Saturn.
Do you do endless Googles looking for faults with your purchases?
My Father was an Engineer, who would not even consider a foreign car. He did say that he admired thge engineering of Hondas when I showed him my new Acura Integra. It is amazing the number of people that I know that recently switched from American cars to foriegn. On my street alone 5 households bought new cars and they were all US traded for Yotas & Hondas. The WWII / Korean War generation that kept the big three going is no longer a buying force.

plenty
Howard Cohen wrote:

Howard, a buddy of mine is a District Service Manager with GM and he handles warranty disputes that can't be resolved by the dealerships with their clients. It sounds like your buddy has a similar type position.

I actually do conduct a lot of Google enquiries before making any significant purchases. Recent examples are my wife's new Pontiac G6, my recent order for Vinylbilt California shutters and the new Lauzon hardwood floors (Yellow birch with truffle stain) I just ordered. In the case of all three of these items, I visited the respective manufacturers' web sites to learn as much as I could there. Then I searched for testimonials for all three, good and bad. Then I took a first-hand look at all three and tried out the G6. Then I bought with a bit more confidence in the products than I would have had buying blind.

The Integra happens to be a favorite of mine too and I have always admired its style and performance. As for Hondas, my brother is on his second new Civic and he loves them. My neighborhood is a bit different than yours, in that I still see a majority of GM, Chrysler & Ford vehicles being purchased. Having said that, I see a lot of the young market buying new and used Hondas, Cobalts, Acuras and Neons and doing their version of hotrodding them. In some cases, that's no more than putting a fat pipe on the exhaust tip. *LOL* Others have created genuine amazing street machines out of their rides.

Howard, I'm a boomer from the early 50's and you can probably lump me in with the above, except I know what I like and dislike. I continue to resist buying anything other than a vehicle produced by the big three, but I do like a lot of euros and Japanese cars as well as one Korean car - Hyundai Tiburon. But I don't condemn anyone for buying what they like. I just happen to be strongly committed to buying Big Three stuff, which can be difficult during times like right now when only a very few of their products appeal to me. Howard, I didn't purposely set out to offend you with my comments about the Sienna. I just happen to think it is an ugly and bland vehicle and anything I have read about its quality hasn't been good. I was trying to give honest feedback before the conversation degenerated into a p'ing match. In fact, I hope that your Sienna gives you and your young family years of reliable service and lots of great family memories. That's what life is all about. Raising a family is tough enough on its own, without having car problems. Have a great weekend with the family!
Thanx man, you are OK. I do have a neighbor who occaisionally drives her original owner 64 Valiant. She also is the original owner of her 1957 Vintage Arlington, VA ranch house.
Toyota has had some issues, but far less than GM & Ford. IMHO, only Honda is better. I do remember the original Accords burning oil.

handles
that he

did
recently
buying
Howard Cohen wrote:

[...]
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Harry Face) wrote:

I'm sure it will be alive and kicking for a long time.
Ass.......
Howard Cohen wrote:

What is the first digit of the VIN on your Sienna, I have never seen a Sienna with a '1' only a '5'
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

I think you information may be out of date, according to this reference ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_identification_number ), first digits 1, 4 and 5 all mean US assembly site with no conditioning on % US content.
Here is the NHTSA government site which details the VIN labeling requirements. I find no mention in there of content percentages:
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_04/49cfr565_04.html
Can you reference a document which backs the assertion that only VIN numbers starting with 1 or 4 are majority US content vehicles?
My reading of the requirements leads me to believe that any US assembled GM product will have a VIN number starting with 1G no matter what fraction of the content is US sourced.
It seems that the VIN # does not indicate the % US content and that content information is separately printed on the window stickers.
John

Even those Korean cars GM is selling as cars.

I believe your right. I was told by a Toyota dealer recently that a "J" at the front of the VIN number indicates Japanese assembly. Cars they had here in Vancouver, Canada that were made in Japan were the Yaris and Prius.
Both Toyota and Honda export at least one model to Japan.
No so, if the content is less than 70% but more than 40% it will show a '4,' as is the case with Subaru assembled in the US. If the content is less than 40% it will show a '5.' The Camrys and Tundra's assembled in the US today show a '5.' It was Honda, who actually assembles many of its vehicles in the US with American parts, that filed a complaint with the FTC about Toyota claim that their vehicles were made in America. If you look and listen closely you will see Toyota is now saying assembled in the US of world sourced parts. Vehicles made in Korea, like the Hyundai, Kia and Suzuki have a 'K'
mike hunt

If that "5" indicates less than USA content, that doesn't mean the parts are from Japan. Remember that the USA is in NAFTA with Canada and Mexico. Parts and cars flow freely between these three countries.
So even with a "5" most parts could be from within NAFTA. Chrysler has been doing a significant part of their 2.7L V6 in Mexico, from day one for that engine back in about 1998.
Not so, I'll try just once more to help you to understand. If the parts were north American (NAFTA) parts and the content was more than 70% the vehicle would be a '1' if between 40% and 70% it would have a '4.' Current Camrys and Tundras have a '5' because the content is less than 40% north American parts. The fact is even the Toyotas assembled in Japan, with a 'J' have a majority of parts from other lower wage countries.
mike hunt

First you said USA parts, now you say NA (NAFTA) parts. Correction; NAFTA is USA, Canada, and also Mexico. Geography! Lets get it right the first time.
To make it clear the federal regulation requires NORTH American made parts to earn a '1.' as apposed to imported parts that require a '4' or '5.' if less than 70%
mike hunt