Bought a Toyota today.

Page 3 of 4
Actually Honda is very smart. The auto ferries from Japan bring Acura's and they return with Honda's built here. Most of the other Japan mfrs send the ships back empty. You still gotta pay for the crew and fuel....

USA subsided rice?
Goodbye.

-

Well... I am happy for you. I guess the thing is that I am going to follow you as well in the near future and get a Sienna, not for the looks nor the style, but the reliability and security. Plain and simple. Only fools buy cars for their looks and style.
You see, I am the typical "joe-off-the-street" guy that GM wants desparately to have/keep as customer with their employee discount, whatnot promos and promisses. I am not a GM-fanboy like most posters here who seem to be blind to everything that is not GM: they live and die for GM. I am a simple guy, father of 4, a single income family who likes cars and vans. I need a family van. I need sometime reliable, because I cannot afford to be at the dealership every month and spend 4K a year in maintenance and repairs.
This is why I am considering a Sienna or an Odyssey. These are not much more expensive than a Venture. And there is, in my mind anyway, the perception (backed up by anecdotal evidence from friends and family who have these vans) that they do not break as much. Because they are more reliable, cost of repair is less of a worry for me (I did call dealers and found out that most major Toy and Honda parts cost the same or 5% more than GM and Ford, so I am not worried about that either).
Right now, I drive a 2000 Venture with more problems than I have the time to write about here. They all started 3000Km after my warranty expired (yes, 3000 KM!) and GM did not want to help me. I tried everything to convince them that it was not normal that a van maintained at the dealership for 4 years would break down so fast, so much.
Have I writen off GM altogether? No. But now I do not trust their products anymore, nor their aftersale customer service. I need peace of mind for myself and my familly and the only way I would consider a GM again is if they would have a longer, better warranty. Some time ago a poster suggested that GM should implement a 10-year warranty. Not a bad idea. I might go again with GM if their warranty was longer (say 7 or 8 years). Come on, GM, if you make great and reliable products, back them up! There is a perception that you build crappy cars and vans. You need to change this and the only way to do so is to put your money where you mouth is. If not, you will lose another customer. And another, and another, and so on...
Cheers
If a warranty is what is important to you, consider this idea. Buy the GM vehicle that suits your needs. You can purchase a 100,000 mile extended service plan, even one that included all scheduled maintenance for far lower drive home price than many of GMs competitors and still have money left over to buy your fuel for a year or so. ;)
mike hunt

A 100K warranty isnt worth a damn unless the garages accept it, and can fix the problem, and your time isnt worth a crap.
Not too worry. GMs extended warranty is excepted by all GM dealers. ;)
mike hunt

I would not consider a car, or mini-van, if I needed to purchase an extended warranty because of reliability issues. Exactly what will be covered ? When and where will it break down ?
GM has to do some serious house cleaning. First, big paycuts for anyone who wears a suit and has executive in their title. Pay them $50,000/yr plus bonuses for profitability and market share. Except for Bob Lutz.

We looked hard at the GM minivans. Even with an "employee discount" and 0.0% financing they were not competitive. Sorry GM.

I had the option with Saturn of $3500 or 0.0% off of a 2005 LEFTOVER The 06 had 3.9% with no rebate. I always look at the bottom line. Much the same would go with an inflated trade-in offer. It all comes down to the bottom line. TOP, total cost of purchase.

It's the part of GM making the money, to cover the losses on car production.

I'm aware of that. As I said, the cash price is only cheaper than 0.0% financing for certain models at certain times.
Jane
Methinks you are confusing the 'selling price' with the TOTAL COST and the method of payment. The selling price is only a part of the total cost of a vehicle. There has not been a 'discount for cash,' since the thirties when dealers accepted time payments to sell cars. The total 'drive home' price of any vehicle depends on the selling price, which includes any rebates and or discounts off MSRP, the value amount of the trade if any, as well as the profit on dealer installed options, 'fees' a dealer charges, the actual government taxes and fees, and the cost of financing the necessary funds to complete the purchase. The price at which a dealer is willing to sell you the vehicles over and above his NET invoice price has no effect on how you pay for that vehicle. You can get the money from a relative, write a check or finance the amount due from any source you choose. The dealership earns extra profit if you finance through GMAC, a bank or a finance company. At a given interest rate the dealer will receive a percentage of the interest, generally around 1%. At zero interest GM still offers the dealer a finder fee of a few hundred dollars. There is no way you can finance THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY for less anywhere else, when compared to zero interest.
mike hunt

What I was trying to enlighten you to, was you the fact that you could have purchased the vehicle at that same price, no mater what the salesman told you. How you pay the selling price is not a factor in the selling price only in the total purchase price. Did you get the paint sealant, fabric guard and mud guards, as well? When I was still in retail we loved buyers like you. LOL
mike hunt

Another rip off. Mike I knew you were a GM insider!
When I was in retail I was Group Sales Manager, for ten years, for a mega-dealership LLC that own stores in six eastern states. We sold just about every brand available back then. Generally it was easy to sell the add-ons to import intenders that domestic intenders. LOL
mike hunt

You're right Jane. It's also that way in my part of CDA and I'm sure in the USA as well. I see the USA ads on TV.