change fuel filter 97 Lumina sedan

Is there any way to relieve pressure in the gas line in order to replace the fuel filter without buying a special gauge as called out in the shop manual?

yeah, someplace up near the engine on the fuel rail there is an outlet that looks like the valve on a tire, take the cap off and push down on the valve, just dont have your head over it.

I wish I thought of that yesterday on my safari!!! I was laying on the ground face up I undid the fittings but it was stuk I got a better grip and blam it all came out in my face in one big gush. Probably about a litre and a half...well look at the bright side my check valves on the fuel system are working lol.
I read the box that the new filter came in afterwards and it said to disconect the power at the tank to the pump...start engine wait till it dies than change filter...dont forget to reconnect the power when done lol. If you are laying on the ground doing this make sure you where goggles and long sleves.
Jerry Witalka wrote:

Remove the fp fuse , run till the engine dies, no fuel press. now!

-
It may not even start with out the pump fuse? The ignition or puter might be on the same circuit... Worth a try though?