Disabling ABS on my Van

Page 4 of 4

That is a pretty powerful testimonial, Steve. Makes a believer out of me.

If you hate ABS, you'll probably despise the ESC too. You should have been with me this morning as I was spinning around an icy parking lot playing with mine for the first time. With it turned off, I was able to spin easily. Putting it back on, I was amazed at how well I could track.

ESC?

Electronic Stability Control.

Electronic Stability Control. GM calls it Stabilitrack, but I'd have to spend $10,000 more to get in on a Buick Lucerne as it in only available on the CXS. GM should be embarrassed about that.
wrote in message

My '96 Bonnie has regular Traction Control, which turns the RPM's down and applies the ABS when the wheels sense they loose traction. It is a 'neat' feature, but if you take your time, you shouldn't spin the tires anyhow.

I doubt they are.
I hate traction control too, when you do get stuck if you cant turn it off may as well start walking and call a wrecker.

Can"t? My three cars with it had a switch to turn it off. Buick is a button on the sift lever.

My Bonnie has a button to turn the T/C off as well, but I have been in cars that don't.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Hi...
Dunno if I'm throwing fuel or water on the fire, but in all my years (and I'm getting awfully long in the tooth), I've only had them operate once. Startled me, but aside from that it wouldn't really have mattered at all if they hadn't been there - no one and nothing to hurt if it had just kept sliding.
Take care.
Ken

The only times I know for sure mine activated were in snow and ice. I could tell by the somewhat disconcerting grinding sound. The car always stopped, so I dont know what would have happened had they not activated.
I did lose control with another car, a Buick Regal with 4 wheel discs but not ABS, at about 15 mph. Slid slowly to a stop and hit a bridge raining. Unusual snow and the car had not been changed to winter tires. Would ABS have prevented it?? No idea.
I like Mr. Mackie's answer about just waiting and it will disable itself. I think it's just another lowest-common-denominator gadget they came up with that probably is beneficial to people who are lousy drivers...but those who have driven without it all their lives and are adept at keeping a vehicle under control under slick conditions don't really want it and certainly don't groove on the thousands it adds to the purchase price and having it malfunction all the time. I'm not a fan of it, but I probably won't disable it.
I live in the Lake effect area of Michigan, we get lots of snow and I love ABS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG3cOEW53ag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd5KDvXbE3M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq4DDMMoomU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvEPM6vwlec