GM Recall Notice

While I hadn't heard or read about it in the news, I received the following notice from GM for my 2001 Bonneville:
"This notice is sent to you to inform you that General Motors is conducting
a voluntary customer satisfaction program that affects certain 2000-2003 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo; Pontiac Grand Prix, Bonneville; Buick Regal, LeSabre and Park Avenue model vehicles eqipped with 3800 Series II (L36) V6 engines.
We have learned that your vehicle may develop an engine coolant leak at the upper intake manifold to throttle body gasket, or at the lower intake to upper intake gasket. This service will be performed for you at no charge through July 31, 2005."
I called the Service Department at my local dealer and they apparently have not yet received any information on this matter. Have I missed a news release or is this matter being "quietly" dealt with? Would the dealerships not normally be provided with the program details prior to advising customers?
I read something about it just this morning. I haven't received any documentation yet from GM on this recall. Is it recall number 03034? -- markwb 2001 Bonneville SLE

had an appointment at the dealer today, for the recall on my 2000 pontiac grand prix..... dealer had most of the parts, but not the nuts that he needs.... suggest anyone that is going to take their car in for the recall, to call the dealer the day before and see if they have all the parts needed. Bad business to have someone come in for a repair and then you don't have the parts..When they told me they didn't have the parts I said very little, but they won't get my business when I buy my next car, for sure... rj
GM has a bad habit of releasing information to the press before their dealers. Makes the dealer personal look very un-informed. MU
"Sting Ray" wrote

This must be fairly new. I haven't heard anything about it, but this type of paperwork will be seen by our shop foreman first, and often it is preliminary stuff until GM gets the parts all in order. They usually like to get a good stock of parts as the dealerships get flooded as soon as the recall goes full blown. About time that GM dealt with this problem.
Ian
Sting Ray wrote:

It should be in their service information system by now, "Customer Satisfaction Program -- Engine Coolant Leak #03034". The dealers are supposed to replace the throttle body fastener nuts and add cooling system sealer pellets to the system.
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Nick we covered all the problems with the 3800's here. Why do you keep asking why we have problems with our 3800's all the time?

Had this same problem in my '95 GA.....interesting how it took GM only 8 years to admit it!!
Is there some online service where I can check my VIN if I'm affected?

Well, it's all 2000-2002 of those models of cars that were mentioned with the 3.8L engine; the VIN only makes a difference if it's a 2003 model.
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
One can always obtain recall information at a dealership. They can run your VIN # to see which recalls or TSB apply to your particular vehicle. The important thing to remember is that not ALL recalls apply to every vehicle. Most apply to only those built during a particular build period, generally. In any event if your vehicle is part of a recall you will be notified by mail by the manufacture.
frank wrote:

My wife's '95 GA had a minor leak for a few months also, but it stopped two months ago. I think she is going to trade it in before it starts again.
Lee