How to remove gas from tank?

1992 sunbird. To be towed away as scrap. Engine died with 3/4 tank full of gas and I want to salvage the gas. Siphon hose won't go down into the tank.
Is there a trick to this?
--
Denis Roy
D. Roy Woodcraft

Also works with metal tanks.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Yabbut, remember he said it was 3/4 full. He's going to suddenly take a gasoline bath <grin> if he tries this without some prep first.
Mark
The gas has been removed by my mechanic friend. He jacked up the car, disconnected the fuel line, stuck it in a gas can. Then he removed the wire harness from the fuel pump and connected it to a battery. Pumped the fuel out in no time. He put everything back the way it was, with no damage for whoever wants the parts car.
Thanks to everyone who responded.
--
Denis Roy
D. Roy Woodcraft

Or can you drop the tank completely?

I haven't tried this in years, really. The older tanks I was familiar with had the flap up on the filler tube, but that was easily bypassed. Some siphon hoses were too big, some too rigid, and some too flexible, but normally in the old days you could find a hose that you could get through all the filler tube maze and into the tank...
What are the tanks like nowadays that prevents 'penetration'?
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

A lot of the GM tanks have what looks like a ping pong ball inside either the filler neck or the part of the tank that connects to the filler neck. Kind of a one way/rollover valve that prevents you from sticking any kind of hose down into the tank.
I usually pull the filler hose right off at the tank and bypass it that way when draining the fuel in order to remove the tank. Or if I'm feeling lazy, I just pull the tank with the fuel in it. Most tanks have the fill section high enough that you can pull the tank even when it's full. Some of the "conformal" tanks are more difficult....such as on the Cavaliers.
Ian