Minus 30 temperature Mobil 1 0W30 or 5W30.

Living in a cold winter climate like Calgary, Alberta. Canada where we have just been through a very cold spell where many people could not start their vehicles
including me. I am going to do an oil change tomorrow which Mobil 1 Oil should I use 0W30 or 5W30. I have an older vehicle.
Thanks in advance Denny B
0w30 might be a little better, but not enough IMHO to feel the difference

Mobil 1 is a good choice in any weight. I'm not fond of oil additives, Prolong engine treatment improves cold weather cranking considerably, and I would recommend it after changing to Mobil 1. Tried it in my 5K miles rebuild, and yes, cold weather cranking improved considerably.

Our 94 Buick (128000 miles) started fine after sitting over night outside for 14 hours with a low of -43F. When we started it it was still -38F. We have always used the factory recommended 5w-30. It has had Mobile One in it since about 10000 miles.
Denny B wrote:

I did 1/2 5w30 and 1/2 0w30 in my Jimmy last oil change. (I only had 2L left of 0w30...) Seems to help turn over just a bit faster when it hit -30 for a week here.
All I needed to do to convince me was take 1 bottle of 0w30, 5w30 synthetic and 5w30 regular, leave them outside in -30 and try pouring them...
Ray
snipped-for-privacy@rollingviolation.comnet.org says...

Cold starts are where the most engine wear occurs from what I've heard somewhere and it makes perfect since. Synthetic flows so much better.
Bonneville wrote:

Another point is that at low temperature 0W30 is still thicker than any hot 30 weight. Oil always gets thinner as it gets hot. 0W30 just doesn't get as thick as 5W30 when it is cold. Both have the same viscosity at operating temperature near 212F (100C). I don't see any reason not to use 0W30 instead of 5W30 even in warm climates, except that it usually costs more and doesn't make starting easier.
Easy one!
You should use 0W-30 rather than 5W-30 in the conditions you describe. Mobil 1 is a good choice. One of the main advantage of a true synthetic is better low temperature flow.
Denny B wrote:

see previous post... I forgot to add it's an 86 Jimmy with a 2.8 and 266,000 km...