Runaway Toyota cases ignored

Page 2 of 3
wrote in message

http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-to-fix-accelerators-after-largest-ever-us-recall.html It isnt a recall yet. There is no general agreement yet that the accelerator is the problem, if there is a problem.
The Ford recall was for 3.7 million cars, and may be expaneded by another 6 million, due to the switches on the cruise controls which have been linked with fires http://www.fordfires.com /
There IS a big difference between reliability and safety issues. GM got away with really shit for years and didnt have to fix the issues because they were reliability and quality issues, not safety issues.
Toyota hires a bunch if US citizens just like Ford, GM and Chrysler do. If I want a door to hit me in the ass, I will be the one to decide which cheek ;>)

You mean, like throttles sticking open on cars, as opposed to, say a recall for a tire pressure monitor that has malfunctioned???????
It appears to me that Toyota is "dodging" recalls, safety or otherwise. They just are having so many problems they cant dodge them all.
And, anyway,
Based on the news over the past few months, one can assume that Toyotas are neither reliable or safe anymore to begin with.
wrote in message

You mean, like throttles sticking open on cars, as opposed to, say a recall for a tire pressure monitor that has malfunctioned???????
It appears to me that Toyota is "dodging" recalls, safety or otherwise. They just are having so many problems they cant dodge them all.
And, anyway,
Based on the news over the past few months, one can assume that Toyotas are neither reliable or safe anymore to begin with. **************** No, that is not what I mean at all. Over the years, GM has had a long series of issues that eventually led to failures or expensive repairs. It was almost as if the failures were engineered into the vehicle.
These included: (1) failures in the Metric transmissions (2) failures in the 3800 generation II engine related to the plastic plenum (3) failures in the ECS 100 alternator series (4) failures (corrosion) caused by brazing body panels together near the rear window such that water coursed down an area with an intentional galvanic corrosion cell (5) failures of the rear disc brake systems to operate properly (bad design) (6) failures of engine gaskets, attributed to DexCool, but really a mixture of bad mating surface design and inferior gasket material (7) block cracks in the Iron Duke four cylinder engine series (8) engine failures in the silicon/iron four cylinder engine blocks (inadequate development) (9) short run failures in air conditioner evaporators, essentially a corrosion problem in the aluminum evaporator system.
and others. Since these were not safety issues, in general, GM normally could dodge repairs if these junky systems lasted through the rather short warranty periods.
Toyota has had some good cars, and they have also had some problems;namely, - the sludging in certain series of engines, presumably caused by PCV system deficiencies. and, - the odd shifting characteristics of one of their later transmission series (solved by programming) There were reportedly issues in earlier models, but I never owned one of them and dont have any friends who, owning them, had problems with them.
I owned GM cars for years, starting in the 70's, and every one of them gave me problems of some sort or the other...expensive problems, not just nagging little bitchy problems.
The claim that there is something seriously wrong with Toyota's accelerator system is very troubling. I try not to make judgements until the facts are in, and I am not sure that we know what is happening here.
You may have read about a similar situation involving the Audi 5000, which was claimed to accelerate wildly without provocation. Some people were, IIRC, killed. But it turned out that there was never a problem with the car. (A similar problem occured 3-4 years ago when a friend drove her Cadillac through the front of her house, "driving for her life". The Caddy didnt do it...she had her foot on the wrong pedal.)
Yes, I have no great love for GM right now. IF they start building real quality...quality that will last....I will consider buying one. But not yet.
Ford has played its cards considerably smarter than GM. And under Mullaly, Ford has received commendations for quality and durability. Ford also had the plastic plenum problems, but worked with the customer to fix it, rather than dodging it like GM did. Ford also has had some electrical problems which resulted in fires, but they have identified it, and recalled.
You buy what you want, and so will I.
No its not. Any time the speed of the vehicle can not sustain or it exceeds the "set speed," the cruise control will automatically disengage by design regardless of the throttle position.

Mike Hunter wrote:

BULL. I have seen them malfunction and open the throttle when the system wasn't even ON. This is why it is called a FAILURE, because the system is not designed to operate this way.
How about the VERY common problem of ABS activation on dry roads caused by rust between the sensor and the hub on GM vehicles. When it happens you can stand on the pedal and not even slow the vehicle down. I suppose this cannot happen either, and yet there are numerous TSBs about it.
--
Steve W.

YA RIGHT.

OR if they are not smart enough to place the car in neutral and apply the brakes if one looses throttle control.
But then again, how smart can one be to pay 20% to 30% more to drive home any comparably equipped car, of the same size?
Toyota makes good stuff, by why would anyone pay that much extra to buy a car that is demonstrably no better than average?

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 18:26:03 -0500, Tim fired up the etcha-a-sketch and scratched out:

The one I heard on the radio - where the 911 caller died while slamming at 120+ into another car - had the driver saying he'd tried to shift out of gear and to turn off the car after the brakes stopped working, having been burnt down by the engine.
Sad.
--
perfectreign
www.perfectreign.com || www.ecmplace.com

Here's the audio of that article:
http://tinyurl.com/yczr9y8
(long version)
http://www.kfi640.com/cc-common/mediaplayer/player.html?redir=yes ? feed=&article=&mps=BillHandel.php&mid=http://a1135.g.akamai.net / f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/LOSANGELES-CA/ KFI-AM/Handel0930097A.mp3?CPROG=PCAST&MARKET=LOSANGELES- CA&NG_FORMAT&SITE_IDa6&STATION_ID=KFI- AM&PCAST_AUTHOR=KFI_AM_640&PCAST_CAT=Arts_and_Entertainment&PCAST_TITLE=KFI_AM_640_BILL_HANDEL
--
perfectreign
www.perfectreign.com || www.ecmplace.com
I bet you believe the tooth fairly left that quarter under your pillow as well.

AM&PCAST_AUTHOR=KFI_AM_640&PCAST_CAT=Arts_and_Entertainment&PCAST_TITLE=KFI_AM_640_BILL_HANDEL
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 14:00:15 -0500, Mike Hunter fired up the etcha-a-sketch and scratched out:

Mike:
First off, Outlook Express is so old. It doesn't even bottom post correctly. C'mon, usenet is almost 30 years old, figure out how to correctly quote, why don't you?
Second - WTF do you mean by that remark? That the story isn't true? That the people didn't die? That an accelerator on a modern car can't get stuck? That a car would need to have endless RPMs to get up to 120 mph?
--
perfectreign
www.perfectreign.com || www.ecmplace.com
Sure a throttle can get stuck but one would have to be an idiot to let their car get up to120, before placing the car in neutral and turning off the ignition.
In any event even if the throttle did stick, any properly functioning brake system will still stop the car. If the driver actually did allow the car to over speed, the rev limiter would have prevented it from self destructing, that is why every engine today has a RPM limiter. Finally the Camry have speed limiters less than120 MPH, depending on the tire type
Next time, I'll try to remember to bottom post, just for you

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 16:57:14 -0500, Mike Hunter fired up the etcha-a-sketch and scratched out:

Well they *were* driving a Toyota...

Apparently not. If you listened to the audio, someone mentioned that the brakes were non functional.

I don't get that part. Even if I accelerate slowly - say at 1500 rpm - I'll still accelerate and would eventually reach 120MPH.
I may be burning fuel at a non-economical rate, but I'd be going fast.

Thank you - the entire usenet community would appreciate it.
--
perfectreign
www.perfectreign.com || www.ecmplace.com
Apparently you do not know much abort gear ratios, if you think that any Toyota can do 120 MPH at 1,500 RPM. At 1,500 they will be lucky to reach 20 MPH. Even at 4,000 RPM they are only doing around 60 MPH LOL

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 12:26:16 -0500, Mike Hunter fired up the etcha-a-sketch and scratched out:

Apparently I don't.
I would think that - given constant acceleration - a car could theoretically reach any speed (unless the fuel is shut off after a certian value).
On a flat area, if I drive my Avalanche - or my wife's Vue - at 1500 rpm, I'll be starting out slow, but eventually reaching some fast speed. I won't be doing it in 3.9 seconds, but I'll get there.
Same principle applies to Ion engines being used by some space craft.
--
perfectreign
www.perfectreign.com || www.ecmplace.com
Like I said, apparently you do not know much abort gear ratios, if you think that any Toyota can do 120 MPH at 1,500 RPM.

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 14:23:02 -0500, Mike Hunter fired up the etcha-a-sketch and scratched out:

Okay, mister top-poster, pleas educate me.
--
perfectreign
www.perfectreign.com || www.ecmplace.com
I am paid handsomely when asked to teach an engineering 101 class, what makes you believe I would do so for free in a NG? Do a search for the information you seek, WBMA.

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 09:37:02 -0500, Mike Hunter fired up the etcha-a-sketch and scratched out:

Um, because you're the one insisting on bringing it up.
if you have a point, please do prove it or stfu

wbma?
world beard and mustache association?
wideband monopole antenna?
--
perfectreign
www.perfectreign.com || www.ecmplace.com
You are the person who is uninformed if you believe any Toyota can do 120 MPH at 1,500 RPM, not me. Obviously you do not want to learn. You apparently prefer to continue to believe what you chose to believe instead. You are of course free to do what ever you chose, however.