non-interference engine

Page 2 of 2

My #2 son had an '82 Toyota Corolla with a chain. We replaced it a few months before the engine threw a rod :-(
Researching the chain, we found that it was common for them to eat through the timing chain cover as a result of "stretching" (pivot wear) and that those covers were at a premium on the used market for that reason.
Mike
Michael Pardee wrote:

Well the opposite end of that scale would be the trusty old Dodge "Slant-6" engines... my dad had one in his '81 pickup, never had it replaced that I know of... when he retired the truck in '87 with over 450,000km, the chain was streched enough to be constantly rubbing in its guideway... but it just kept on running (the engine was also drinking a liter of oil with every tank of gas after my sister ran it dry of oil once). Thin was damn near indestructable.
I've heard theories that the slant six almost put dodge outta business due to lack of parts sales and longevity....
Matt Ion wrote:

loewent via CarKB.com wrote:

I wouldn't doubt it. When I was a kid, my father owned a '77 Dodge Aspen and our neighbour owned a '79 Plymouth Volare. Both had the slant-6, and both were major pieces of junk.
loewent via CarKB.com wrote:

I'd believe that. I've only ever seen one die - buddy's '69 Valiant threw a rod doing aboud 100km/h on the freeway. Thankfully the engine didn't seize on the spot... #6 had a lovely gaping hole with the bottom of of the rod sticking through about an inch below the sleeve...

High Tech Misfit wrote:

Right. Google "saturn timing chain" I'm not saying Honda's as bad. But timing chains do fail.
Body Roll wrote:

But that is Saturn, which is crap to begin with. I believe I mentioned elsewhere that Toyota's 4-cylinders, for example have been chain-driven for almost a decade, and I am not aware of timing chain failures on those.
Michael Rose wrote:

Yeah, it's an interference engine. Uses a timing chain to reduce risk of catastrophic failure. Keep that oil clean.