Re: Headline I thought I'd never see

Page 1 of 3

They spent the last 20-years very publicly and explicitly concentrating on "safety" and "green", at the cost of performance and excitement.

They're already working on that. <http://www.acura.com/future/NSX#1 .>
--
Tegger

To hell with the NSX,bring back the Prelude and CRX;AFFORDABLE sporty cars.
even the Integra was more desirable for most car buyers. too bad my GS-R got stolen,stripped and torched.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 03/21/2012 12:15 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:

right on - for all three. an "integra" with an wrx/evo killer option is what they need. and one that actually handles like the crx/integra/prelude too. that rsx thing, while the motor was decent, was a great disappointment in the handling dept. which of course is why it tanked in the market place.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

the RSX looked like an Integra that was overinflated. a higher center of gravity,too,not good for handling.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 03/22/2012 07:59 AM, Jim Yanik wrote:

its biggest flaw was macpherson suspension.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message

To hell with the NSX,bring back the Prelude and CRX;AFFORDABLE sporty cars.
even the Integra was more desirable for most car buyers. too bad my GS-R got stolen,stripped and torched.
I went used a few weeks ago and bought a 05 S2000 with 31k miles on it. Having the time of my life -- at age 70. Way better than the 5th gen Prelude I had.
Hi,
Article on Bloomberg on Honda USA management changes, with comments from Maryanne Keller.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-22/honda-promotes-american-managers-in-push-for-u-s-revival.html
Al Moodie.

HA!! Love this one:
"Honda quite literally has become a North American car company headquartered in Tokyo, and that's a horrible combination," Jim Hall, principal of 2953 Analytics Inc., an auto consultant in Birmingham, Michigan, said in a phone interview.
On 03/22/2012 07:40 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

honda's trojan horse:
John Mendel, "ex" frod.
honda japan would do well to, um, "audit" this guy.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

I would not own another convertible,and sometimes,having the extra two "seats" is an advantage. plus,IIRC,the last Prelude had a fold-down or pass-thru rear seat.
the S2000 would make a great second car,though.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
"Jim Yanik" wrote in message

I would not own another convertible,and sometimes,having the extra two "seats" is an advantage. plus,IIRC,the last Prelude had a fold-down or pass-thru rear seat.
the S2000 would make a great second car,though.
And, that's what it is. I kept my 06 I4 Accord coupe for to and from work etc. This is simply old age crisis. But S2k is far better than any of the C3 Vettes I had 40 years ago and an assortment of "old blighty" 60s era sports cars.
On 03/22/2012 08:02 AM, Jim Yanik wrote:

the prelude with an s2000 engine would be a lot of fun, and as you say, it's a much more practical configuration. if they added the honda 4wd system, even more so. upgrade the engine output to that of the wrx or evo, and suddenly you have a real drivers car that would re-launch the whole honda ethos, even if people didn't actually buy them in quantity.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

no shit.
Actually, "competes with" would not be good enough. It'd be too little, too late.
Hey, Honda--bring out something that absolutely KILLS the Hyundai/Kia thing. Open the curtains in September and show us a Civic and Accord that slay Hyundai/Kia right where they stand, products that bury the competition so far down they can't get back up.
And then back it up. Walk the walk. Show us not only that you CAN do it, but that you WILL do it.
holding my breath--not.
On 03/21/2012 03:53 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

the accord still retains some useful features - suspension - but it's grown just /way/ too big and unwieldy to be anything i'd ever buy*. they should have launched a larger model marque, like toyota did the avalon, if they wanted to sell something bigger. same with the now accord-sized civic. especially since the cars they sell under those names in other countries are much smaller than what they sell here.
* i'd just go minivan, but even then, the current odyssey - reliability rip-offs aside - is too big. the original was just about right.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

would that include the V6 engine feature where it burns up spark plugs in one of the cylinders every few hundred miles?
On 03/21/2012 07:49 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

why, of course! it' keeps technicians in work and stimulates the spark plug industry!
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

that is the problem with most car makers; they keep making the models bigger,until they are no longer what was intended for that model. they turn fun compact cars into stodgy full-size cars. My first Accord('79)was smaller than my last Prelude('90).
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 03/21/2012 03:53 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

oh, and the cross-tour???? seriously, if honda's u.s. management talked japan into that piece of garbage, it's because the former g.m. execs honda thought they'd hired are in reality the g.m. aztec team still working for g.m. in a sabotage role.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

<snort><giggle>

To put that into context, the very same Honda US management team back in the mid-90s told Honda Japan very specifically that they did NOT want the CR-V--said "that ain't no SUV, that's some girlie thing nobody'd ever want to buy". They probably got confused by the lack of locking transfer case and hubs. So, Japan went ahead and designed it without consideration for the US market.
A year or two later, US Honda management decided they changed their mind. The car came out in 97 as a compromise vehicle, and took awhile to be what it should have been in the first place had that same US Honda management team not been such idiots.
Now we have that CrossTour thingie, a horrible car that no one really wants except those same bonehead US managers.
It's a familiar refrain. "We have no idea what we're doing it, but by God, we're going full speed ahead with it!"
Car Guys vs. Bean Counters. Everyone should read it.