will honda's usa "marketing" dept learn this lesson?

Page 1 of 2
from: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070704/ap_on_bi_ge/auto_sales ;_yltWTUZK6DYtG1k8AcAms0NUE
we learn that: "Honda said it sold 140,935 vehicles in June, up from 126,449 during the
same month last year. Sales were led by the Civic and Fit small cars and the CR-V small sport utility vehicle."
are you listening honda usa "marketing" department? are you going to pay attention this time? because your track record needs a little help. you didn't want to know about the crv. you didn't want to know about the fit [jazz]. and you have done everything you can to kill the civic's backbone, the civic hatchback. anyone would think y'all were getting backhanders from detroit or something. well, you're not are you?

I wish they would bring back the Prelude. Update it with LED turnsignals and taillights. Right now,Honda/Acura does not make anything I would buy. I'd buy an old 00-01 Prelude before I'd buy any new Honda/Acura.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I'm pretty sure they decided to aim the Accord coupe V6/manual transmission at that market.
After all, the 'lude was built on the Accord chassis.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

in which case, why not just sell a prelude? nobody buys an accord if they want something that is a little more fun. just like the crx was a no-brainer body transplant from the civic, so should be the prelude.

Ah, but you forget: the beancounters were in charge during that time.
It is cheaper to make the Accord than a model with different sheet metal and interior.
They may yet bring back the 'lude, now that the engineers seem to be back on the throne, but no doubt it's way down on their to-do list.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

but the accord coupe is extensively re-worked. can't see any cost saving between that and a prelude.

remains to be seen. they haven't cured the civic wishbone thing yet. and they're not addressing the fact that they don't have anything to touch the evo/wrx yet either. [that's a /serious/ failing.] all it takes is a new prelude with 4wd and a blown s2000 motor to get that ball rolling. even if it were limited edition. redirecting resources to giant suv's??? wtf were they thinking?
btw, that wrx is one heckofa car. got passed by modded one a few weeks back - no idea what he had under the hood, but the noise was such that i looked in the mirror to see what was going on. wrx emerging from an on-ramp maybe 300 meters back. two shifts [and about as many seconds] later, he passed my sorry 85mph ass like i was standing still. seriously, that's one of the fastest vehicles i've ever seen. on or off the track. if honda had a vehicle, with motor, able to handle that kind of re-work, and wishbones, they could recapture the hearts and minds of the 2-ner/wrx crowd they blew apart back in 2001. and they should.

Sure--because they were doing the Accord coupe anyway.
When they chose to equip it with the V6 w/manual tranny, that was their nod to the 'lude crowd--which, by and large, had grown up and probably were very happy to have such a car.
They gave a nod to that market without having to spend a bunch of money. Doing a full-on 'lude would have entailed MUCH more money, and plainly Honda didn't see any good return on such an effort.

In the Civic line, I don't think there's anything to be "cured". It's just not a problem. Civics are selling well--and that's all Honda cares about.

nah. Honda doesn't have the money Toyota has, not by far, so they're happy to stay out of those markets. Given Honda's history, that doesn't surprise me one bit.

Well, the Pilot/MDX has sold well--no surprise, since that's the kind of car many people were buying.
"What were they thinking"? I can tell you: "let's build an SUV that competes well in the SUV market, which is huge." No surprise there.
The Ridgeline has its niche, too. It's a very, very strong vehicle. Not my cup of tea, but well done for those who like it.

Ah, they could--but they clearly see their destiny lying elsewhere.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

but that's the illogical bit! just do it properly and call it a prelude!

v6 is not "true honda" and hardly sells anywhere else in the world - it's pandering to the american market.

really, not very much.

vs how many accord coupe's sold? not many.

disagree! it's handling that put honda on the map. they threw that out the window when they went macpherson on the civic. may as well buy a camry. or a subaru if you want a car with guts.

but the point is, the civic was one of the most popular cars in the world in terms of gross sales. and incredibly popular on the track. and with a relatively low power motor! don't see many modern civics on the track because they don't handle. you see wrx's because what they lack in handling, they make up in power.

but globally, that's a zero market - it just diverts resources. and domestically, unit sales aren't high either. cost of development vs. sales?

yes, handing their customer base over to toyota, subaru, mitsubishi and nissan. they should stick to the one thing that used to differentiate them from the pack, and do it was well as possible - sports car handling on a cheap compact/family car. it's not like it costs that much more to produce, and when balanced against brand loyalty and repeat sales, is a no-brainer.

That may have been so years back, but you can't dispute: Civics are selling well, AND that's all Honda cares about.
Honda is a marketing company. If handling doesn't sell, then they won't care.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

but they're not selling as well as they used to - honda have lost significant market share to toyota. and the rsx or whatever the successor to the integra is, [same civic platform] isn't selling at all!

if that's what they think, that's the problem!

but handling /does/ sell!
if they think they're just going to sell cheap generic crap, they're in trouble because toyota can do that better. and frankly, hyundai [etc] is breathing hard up their tail pipe as well. they'll also have their margins cut to the bone and have no brand loyalty. if they make something that people like because it's better, price is less elastic /and/ they retain repeat customers. like subaru.
honda used to play the game /way/ better. there's no reason they can't do it again.

the RSX is defunct;they stopped making them,ISTR.

Look at how well the Integra sold. 3dr and 4 dr versions! Then Honda redesigned it to the RSX,which was uglier,and it didn't sell. the old 1996-2000 Civic hatchback sold very well,and newer versions were uglier and didn't sell as well. Tuners would rather buy an older Honda and rework it than buy a new Civic.

Sochiro Honda is no longer around,that's the problem.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

absolutely!!!
it had the power and the fittings. the only differentiator was handling - basically, it was a dog.

indeed.
not just tuners - ordinary drivers too. i had a bunch of people fighting over my 2000 civic hatch when i sold it.

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 18:45:39 -0700, jim beam

Wot?
They tried to sell the RSX as pre-riced, for more money. It's the marketing that didn't work, not so much the car. The handling on those old Integras wasn't anything to write home about. I never actually drove the RSX, ... oh, maybe I test drove one once about 1998, I don't recall, but I'll eat a bug if it handled worse than any stock Integra.
J.
JXStern wrote:

if you say you test drove the rsx in 98, you'll have been eating more than bugs!
On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 17:41:08 -0700, jim beam

Huh.
I woulda swore the RSX was already current when I bought the 1999 CL, but a little Googling suggests you are right in suggesting otherwise.
They say the memory is the second to go.
I test drove the Integra waaay back when. Or maybe it was an Isetta. Really, what's the difference?
J.

LOL! The Isetta really was Way Back When. I remember an episode of the original Alvin cartoon show in which an ostrich mistook an Isetta that Dave had just bought for an egg and was trying to hatch it. I was about ten years old and didn't catch the humor. A few years later I saw one parked in our neighborhood and then I understood.
Mike

RSX came after the Integra,which was last made in 2001.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Well, I bought the 1999 new in early 2000, ... naw, still doesn't work, does it? Probably test drove the RSX on some service visit to the dealer, I had the CL for a four-year lease. Then later drove the TSX which was still pricey then, but went with the Accord.
The whole Acura marketing model could use a little tuning up, IMHO, I mean look at the RL, nice but who cares, not different enough from the TL, which is not different enough from the Accord. But that's been true since day one with Acura, they never differentiated from the Honda world even as far as Lexus did from Toyota or Infiniti from Nissan.
J.
JXStern wrote:

Heh... The Isetta was the "smart" car of its day!
<G>
JT

well, they are--they exist solely to sell product and make money.