Rooftop carrier

I have a 2007 CRV. I also have a 10 year old, but rarely used, sears X-Cargo rooftop box. The distance between the roof rack cross bars is 27 1/2 inches whereas the distance between the brackets on the X-Cargo is 21inches. I would have to redrill the holes for two of the brackets. Also the X-Cargo has 4 straps to tie into a raingutter which the Honda does not have. I notice that the "Honda" short roof box is secured only by 4 brackets. (No straps) Do you think the X-Cargo would travel safely re-rigged? If it will, does it matter whether I move the front or the rear brackets on the X-Cargo? Thanks.

Reply to
Rob Reading