Mobil 1 5W-20

Page 3 of 4
Matt Whiting wrote:

Nice try, but Sinan points out exactly what I was saying before. A difference of "2X" is meaningless without context. Depending on the context it can be a big difference, or completely insignificant. Do you know what the context of the data in the study you referred to is? For that matter, do you even know what parameters were measured? Was it frictional resistance? Viscocity vs. temperature? Levels of chemicals as in the above analysis? Something else. Your claim of "twice as good" is meaningless unless we also know "compared to what?"
A. Sinan Unur wrote:

I saw the data. I own the "How to Lie with Statistics" book that was required reading in my statistics class at Penn State a couple of decades ago. The MCN data was extremely well done.
It is funny how some of you like to throw stones at data that you are too cheap to spend a few bucks to get a copy of and actually see for yourself. You must be a statistician...
Matt

On the other hand, my comment was not specifically about the data, but only about the fact that without knowing the scale of the vertical axis, the heights of the bars in bar graph do not convey meaningful information.

Frankly, I do not know anything about oil, and I don't much care. As such, I am unwilling to invest any time or money in researching the article.
That should make it obvious that I am an economist who occasionally teaches statistics.
Sinan
--
A. Sinan Unur < snipped-for-privacy@llenroc.ude.invalid>

Matt,
I'm coming in late here, but last I heard, SuperTech is re-labeled Penzoil/Quaker State, in turn made by Shell. I suppose that would quickly change if Wal-Mart would get a better contract from Texaco, BP, Exxon-Mobil, etc.
--
Bob

Bob Adkins wrote:

Actually, SuperTech comes from Warren Oil, a large blending company that produces oils for many labels. I didn't realize how the industry worked until I checked into SuperTech oils. Many of the oils on the market are not blended by the companies that sell them. Companies like Warren buy base stocks from refiners (like Shell), blend in an additive package and resell them to companies that put their label on them. SuperTech is effectively "generic" oil, in that it comes from the same source and is likely identical to some name brands, but it's sold cheaper since it's not advertized and doesn't pass through as many hands in the supply chain. It may well be indentical to Pennzoil and/or Quaker State.
Brian Nystrom wrote:

The oil MAY be identical, but it may not be. Even worse is that it may vary widely from lot to lot as often the oil is whatever is available at the lowest price at a given time. All crude oils aren't created equal.
Also, another cost that is often less for generic oils in addition to advertising costs is QA test costs. They very likely don't test to nearly the level that a brand does who has a name to protect. Remember the hit that Quaker State took back in the 70s (if memory serves) when a bad lot of oil got out and ruined a number of people's engines. It took decades for their sales to recover, and I don't think they ever did fully recover. I used Quaker State at that time and haven't used it since.
Matt

Well, you are correct that it may be not be consistent. But if they promise Wal-Mart 1 quality level of product then try to switch up on them, they'll be in breech of contract. Wal-Mart is probably in the top 3-4 outlets for oil. They have an audit system to ensure they get consistent quality, and their suppliers only double cross them once!
No, I don't think anyone would want to antagonize the golden goose. :)
--
Bob

Matt Whiting wrote:

It comes from ONE source and it's blended to a standard specification. The lab test I saw indicated that it was comparable to other synthetic oils on the market. Your comments are just idle speculation with no basis in fact. Fear mongering doesn't help anyone.
Brian Nystrom wrote:

Again, I ask to see the mysterious data you keep referring to, but can't seem to produce a reference to. I provided a clear reference to the source of the data that I saw that is in direct conflict with your claims that all oils are created equal.
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

It's in my other post.
Brian Nystrom wrote:

I never saw a post with a reference in it ... other than a "you can find it in Google" which is hardly a reference.
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

Apparently, posts with attached binary files are blocked by the news server, as I've tried twice to post the .jpg of the oil analysis. I'll email it to you if you want it and it won't even cost you anything.
Brian Nystrom wrote:

Please do.
Matt

There, you see? I told you it could change quickly! :)
Thanks for the heads up Brian.
--
Bob

Super Tech oil is packaged by Warren Oil. They do not add or delete anything from the oil that they repackage. I've been using Super Tech synthetic in my vehicle for several years with no problems, and I called them to find out what kind it was. They said it's made by specialty oil which is Pennzoil, or Quaker State - they are the same, just different bottles. http://www.wd-wpp.com/index.html
Just type super tech in the product name box http://msds.walmartstores.com/

Ah! So I WAS right!
--
Bob

Bob Adkins wrote:

If you search on "synthetic", you'll see that both Specialty and Warren are listed for SuperTech synthetic oils. I'm not sure if one is the manufacturer and the other is the distributor or what, but the dates on the MSDS's overlap.
Brian Nystrom wrote:

And you accuse me of fear mongering for not wanting to use an oil where the source can't even be determined? :-)
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

The source is known (Warren Oil). It's the MSDSs that are confusing. The data on the product is in my other post. Now it's your turn to put up or shut up. So far, you've given us nothing but a link to an article that we would have to purchase. I'm not going to do that.
Brian Nystrom wrote:

I understand you not wanting to see the data as that would put to rest all of your complaints about it. The report isn't available for free, nothing I can do about that. Most legitimate data isn't free.
Matt