2004 JGC Oil Viscosity

I just purchased a 2004 Grand Cherokee (4.0l I-6). It was a program car and had 11,000 miles on it when I got it. Since it was a "program car" and I had no idea what kind of maintenance had been performed on it, the first thing I did when I got it home was change the oil. Now, for my first mistake: I very quickly thumbed through the owner's manual (that's all I got, by the way, was the owner's manual, the maintenance log was long gone) and saw 5w30 as the recommended oil viscosity. So, this is what I used - Mobil 1 (synthetic) 5w30 and a Mobil 1 filter. After the oil change I reread the page and found out that that particular recommendation on viscosity was for the 4.7l V-8 engine. The specs for the 4.0l were on the previous page. I now know that the manufacturer only recommends 5w30 in the 4.0l I-6 in very cold weather and 10w30 for most conditions. I live in Southeast Kentucky and oddly enough we have had somewhat of a "warm spell" the last couple of weeks. Temps have been in the upper 60s on some days. So, my point is this: Since the weather has been quite warm and since I'm using a viscosity of oil that is not recommended for the temperature range(even though it's synthetic) am I hurting my engine? I don't want to think it will be a problem, but I'm open to opinions. I will definitely switch back to 10w30 on my next oil change, but in the meantime I'm hoping not to cause any additional wear. Thanks in advance for your comments!

Reply to
Neil

Hi Neil,

Both oils have the viscosity of a 30 weight oil when hot. The 5W-30 is simply more viscous when cold. You won't hurt the engine using 5W-30 for 'cold' starts in warm weather. In fact, for a new engine like yours with presumably good seals, no need for the thicker 10W-30 to prevent leaks. You're better off with a 5W-30 or even 0W-30 for faster penetration on start no matter what the weather.

Steve

Neil wrote:

Reply to
Steve