knocking noise from down under

Hello,

I recently bought a Jeep TJ 2002 2.5L (if i knew what I know now I would've bought the 4.0L ... but what's done is done, maybe next time)

There's this knocking noise that comes from under the car whenever i go over speed bumps (car rocking sideways) or going over any sort of bumpy surface.

I had someone stand on the side of the jeep and rockign it and i looked underneath to try to find out where the noise was coming from. I found this bar towards the back:

and it seems that its two ends are sort of loose and causing the knock:

so my questions are:

-what is this bar called? (is that called the track-bar? is that the same as anti-sway bar?)

-how to fix this? is it just a question of changing the bushings? easy to do?

Thanks!

Fadi

Reply to
Fadi

It is the rear swaybar, and it's link. You would replace the entire link. Not hard to do at all. You could simply remove the link you suspect, and see if the noise goes away. You can drive the Jeep without it for a test drive.

However, I'd keep looking for your noise. Usually they come from the front end somewhere. A loose steering stabilizer (The end that mounts to the axle) can make the kind of noise you describe.

Paul Nelson

in article snipped-for-privacy@k29g2000hsd.googlegroups.com, Fadi at snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote on 7/2/07 10:31 AM:

Reply to
Paul Nelson

Yep, you are pointing out the swaybar. To check, disconnect the links on both sides, tie the bar out of the way, and rock to see if that was the problem.

Before you disconnect anything check to see that the exaust isn't hitting on the rear axle. Sometimes the rubber bushing comes out and the pipe will hit where it goes over the axle.

Replacing bushings is very easy. Although not the same vehicle as yours, these shoudl give you some ideas.

remember to check the U clamps.http://revbeergoggles.com/swaybar/

Reply to
DougW