What size lift do I have

Just purchased an 82 CJ5 with 36X14.5 Super swampers. I plan to change out the tires to 33X12.5 BFG Ko's and the suspension too. What I need to find out is what is the current lift or where/how do I measure. I plan to only have a 3 inch lift after all of this is completed.

Thanks for your time and help.

Reply to
Wade

L.W.(ßill)

Hi Wade,

Does it have a Spring Over Axle (SOA) conversion? That would account for

5-6". You can measure body spacers and shackles, but beyond that its going to be lift springs or SOA. OEM will be ~1/2" for spacers, and 2" for shackles.

-- JimG

80' CJ-7, 258 CID 35" BFG MT's on 15x10 Centerlines 4.56 D30-D44 SOA D300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn 8000i w/dual batteries LockRight F&R

Reply to
JimG

Jim & Bill , thanks for your reply. I just checked my 79 CJ7 and found it is a spring under and the new 82 CJ5 is like you said, spring over the axles. OK, now where do I go from here? Can I use the same spring setup or do I need to get new springs? Is the procedure to just reverse the location to spring under?

Thanks again for your reply and help.

Wade snipped-for-privacy@nc.rr.com

Reply to
Wade

You can use the same springs (although they may still be lift springs - compare the arch with the stock CJ-7). The procedure in basic terms is to reverse the location, but there are several considerations:

1) spring perches - are the original ones still in place 2) have the shock been replaced with longer ones 3) are the original shock mounts still in place 4) does it have a drop pitman arm 5) are the brake lines extended

Depending on the answers to these questions, it may or may not be a big job. I know if I were to reverse mine, it would be a big job!

JimG

Reply to
JimG