Convince me to buy a Landrover

OK - I must warn you I have a flame proof suit on :-)

I currently own a LR 90 TDi and very pleased with it I am. That particular vehicle is my own and used seriously off road.

I live in Scotland and do 55k a year in my company Vectra (LPG Dual fuel). My Vectra is due to be replaced and I've been given an allowance of £25k to replace it with a 4x4 - this is due to me being snowed in, or not being able to get to clients properties.

I can add up to £5k of my own money, making a total of £30k available. My main concern is MPG - I get a salary, plus a mileage allowance (which will increase to 20p per mile for the 4x4). This allowance is to cover fuel only, so the better the MPG the more money I save/make :-)

I am edging towards a Diesel Land Cruiser, but I like the Discovery and understand a new model is due the end of this year (maybe current models will drop in price?).

My main concern IS - I know several people with Discos (None of them new models though) and all of them have had more than their fair share of problems. Even one of the salesman in my local Landrover dealer frowned when I asked "are they reliable yet"

Are they as unreliable as people say?

Apart fro these two vehicles what else should I be looking at?

Clive

Reply to
Clive

StaffBull

Even though Im a through and through Landie fan Id have to look at a crew cab (Nissian first, Mitsi second)

The 110 crew cab is alittle too rough for my motorway miles, and a Rangie is well out of my price range!!

Tim (Cant believe Im saying it)

Reply to
Someone

Well either you love em or loathe them.

I do not think a disco or a freelander is a real landie anyway.

Reply to
Larry

Reply to
StaffBull

Some have no problems at all, some are nightmares........same as any vehicle really, though the extremes are perhaps wider with LR than some others. My dialy roll around the local garages lets me see all sorts of motors on ramps, and the Japs have bad ones too - and a hell of a lot more expensive to fix they are - if you can get the parts inside a fortnight. Forget Jeep - they make LR look good!

As someone else has posted - you either love them or hate them, and if it's love then its worth the risk - well, IMO anyway, but then my 110 has been utterly reliable until the gearbox went at 206,000, so I am a tad biased!

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

In message , Clive writes

If you need convincing - don't buy one.

Reply to
hugh

Clive posted ...

I reckon if you need convincing, then a Landrover, of any flavour, is probably not the vehicle you want ..

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Of course they are not, they have coil springs and comfortable seats. but you were asking for me to say that :)

Reply to
Larry

For that sort of distance I'd get a car, possibly a 4x4 car, and fit decent winter tyres and carry a full set of snow chains and digging-out gear.

I used to have a 1959 100E Ford Prefect. Back in the mid 1990's there was knee-deep snow where I lived. My little Prefect didn't get stuck because it had decent tread on the tyres instead of the usual summer tyres most British vehicles seem to use. There was only one steep hill I couldn't get up but if I had snow chains as well then there would not have been any problem. The only other places it couldn't go would have been difficult even for a Unimog.

Decent winter tyres and snow chains and some digging-out equipment is all you'll ever need. Most people seem to drive on tyres which are virtually slicks and then wonder why they get stuck or spin off the road whenever a tiny amount of snow falls.

Reply to
PDannyD

I would agree with you about the motorway miles,

But can you see light between the top of the doors and the roof when belting along, never mind the noise from the roof rack. I'd probably remove it if I had anywhere to keep it, but at least it is good for climbing onto to take pictures, and sooner or later I am going to find it useful as the back soon fills up with junk.

Reply to
Larry

Clive,

I'm a big landy fan - always have been, I went down this route last year, and after lots of soul searching I ended up getting a Nissan Navara Outlaw (imported version with leather etc).

It may go against the grain of this newsgroup but I have to say its brilliant - without fail, it does 35mpg - cruises at 70 - will do 90+ but the fuel gets burnt quickly - its got leather, climate control, 6 cd electric everything, alloys, masses of room, seats 5, looks good, even ok off-road to a degree! - and best of all its selectable 2/4wd so I can imagine im in a super smooth series and change to 4wd!

I've done 48K in my first 9 months with it, its been great, service intervals are close though - every 6k

I got every extra available and didn't even touch the 20k limit I have.

Of course there are the tax benefits for those whose company still owns them, but this loop hole will get closed eventually - don't get a Mitsubishi l200 though - I tried them all from the diesel to the V6 petrol - they are lethargic (but slightly better ride!).

Of course - its even good at towing my trialler home when its been broken!

Rog

Reply to
Rog

On or around Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:47:25 GMT, "Clive" enlightened us thusly:

blag the 25K, buy a late-model TDi... for about 10K, pocket difference.

I don't suppose that'll work, unfortunately.

Reply to
Austin Shackles