Defender advice please

I recently went off roading in my new Nissan X-trail, and I'm hooked! Unfortunately I managed to puncture a tyre and nearly rip off the front bumper (company car, don't ask!) so I've decided to go and buy a 2nd hand defender (no plastic bits to rip off!)

I've never owned a Land Rover in my life and so I'm not sure what to look for in say a 10-12 year old model. Do Defenders suffer from any common problems that I need to be aware off? I'll probably be going for a Defender 90 with a 2.5 diesel.

Thanks..

Reply to
Joe Bloggs

If you haven't already, ask in alt.fan.landrover.

Main things to check are chassis and bulkhead (bit between you and engine) for rust and repairs. Check engine for smoke, oil leaks etc but 2.5D is a reliable simple unit. Check operation of gearbox, transferbox and check boxes and axles for leaks and oil.

HTH.

Reply to
Exit

I see you have asked as my reply from the other group has just arrived here! :)

Reply to
Exit