Disco 2 swapping rear air springs for coils

Booked my D2 into Simmonites for some work including a 2" lift, they are recommending that I ditch the rear air springs and replace with coils. The reasoning being better off-road articulation and increased longevity and reliability. I do trust their advice as they know their stuff but am not sure if I should screw up the car too much from OE spec (they are planning to remove the compressor, pipes etc.)

Has anyone done it this way? I was originally planning to fit spacers and retain the air springs.

Reply to
Andy

I assume your DII is a 5 seater. 7 seaters have to have the rear air suspension as part of the type approval...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We've been here before. Type approval is irrelevant to the end user.

Type approval is a way for the manufacturers to 'certify' the safety of their product in bulk without having to deal with each vehicle individually.

The end user can do what he/she likes subject to not infringing any regulations etc. but would be advised to keep on the right side of their insurance company.

If the manufacturer only qualified the 7 seater with air suspension then he couldn't manufacture 7 seaters with coil springs. That doesn't stop anyone subsequently altering what the manufacturer produced.

Reply to
Dougal

But that is for production approval, it doesn't prevent modification after sale.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

Mine is a 7-seater so if I do ditch the air-springs I will let the insurance company know. To be honest I might just stick with the original plan and fit spacers at the back!

Reply to
Andy

I'd ask 'em first, they might refuse to insure you with such a major modification. Even though, as others have said type approval, is not an "end user problem" it is if you can't get insurance and want to use the vehicle on the road...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave,

That is my understanding too. Insurance companies will find *anything* to avoid a payout - and changing suspension from air to springs is probably listed (to them) as a major modification to the original vehicle.

Reply to
Neil Brownlee