disco II headlamps

Anyone know if the later type ('02-'03 on, roughly) will fit on the earlier ones without surgery? and if so, how much stuff do you also have to change and how much roughly does it cost?

I fancy the look of the later lights.

On a related note, mine has a rubberoid bullbar, the outer wings of which detach, leaving just an A bar. Is there a bit to screw onto the back of it to make it look right if you detach the outer wings?

They'd have to go if fitting the later lights, as they'd be in front of the lower lens.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I did remember a complete kit for the upgrade but it was of the gulp large intake of breath when I arrived at the price its at Simmonites

DerekW

Reply to
DerekW

Here you go :-)

Andy

Each to their own, I prefer the old ones. The clear cover, double bulb is just too "modern" for a Land Rover. B-)

The modern ones do mean you have 4 x 55W H4 bulbs all on when in main beam mode. IIRC the old style have a single dual filament bulb and switch between them dip/main beam. Not that it makes any noticeable difference between the old and new.

Surely they must be obscuring part of the old style lens now?

As for a change over kit, it'll be complete new unit and possibly the leveling motors as well. I've changed a bulb on both types and the whole lot is *very* different. IIRC (again) between old and new their will be Anne Adapter for the wiring loom as well. The new ones every thing plugs into the lens/light unit on one connector, the old style have seperate plugs for each bulb (main/dip & side).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's a bit of a tame reason for you, Austin.

Agreed! ... and the old indicators are, in my view, more visible.

Reply to
Dougal

On or around Sat, 02 May 2009 22:18:27 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

yeah, but it's not a proper Land Rover ;-)

nope. the lower part lines up with the trim under the light - one of the elements on the later lights is lower and the trim piece has a notch in it. However... later type light units are, it seems, about 130 quid each, which means that the swap is going to cost not far off 300 quid, so I don't think it'll be happening, certainly not any time soon.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hi Austin, I had a couple of fog lamps fitted to come on with the main beams, mounted upside down ( for fogs ) on the bumper. Combined with a pair of normal driving lamps I could see ahead and round bends very effectively. Great for off-road at night too. The only problem was that the Disco I dip beam was s**te but fitting 90/120's helped that until the wiring burnt out. Put in bigger wiring, problem solved.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

On or around Wed, 6 May 2009 17:38:35 +0100, "TonyB" enlightened us thusly:

300-type disco I are OK, the original disco I lights were, as you say, crap. fitting 300-type lights to a 200-type doesn't look too hard, although I never actually got around to it on the one I had.

In my case, the early disco II lights are simialr to the late disco I in performance, i.e. they're quite good. I've not really got an issue with the lights, just I like the look of the later ones.

However, they're too pricey to buy on a whim like that. Had the conversion been do-able for 100-quid-odd, I'd perhaps have done it, but as it is, that wouldn't buy even one light so it'll have to wait. Going to need tyres first. I might do it next year, if I don't spend the money on something else first.

I suppose it might be worth chekcing out ebay or such for S/H light units. But considering the price of new ones, even S/H are not going to be cheap.

Reply to
Austin Shackles