Disco rims on the 110 - Any advantage?

Is there any advantage to fitting Disco Steel rims as opposed to normal Steel 110 Wheels re offset.

I hear that 8 spokes can afford greater turning circle than Standard with adjustment of the lock stops accordingly.

Only ask as I have a set of Disco rims and I'm about to have the 110 reshod.

Wondering if I should use the Disco rims.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee I'm fairly new at this landrovery stuff so hopefully somebody else can advise on the rim compatibility but don't forget that the swivel joints have a limitation on how far they can, err, swivel. What this means in practice is that if you do find a wheel / tyre combination that allows loads of running clearance and you then proceed to wind off the steer stops you can get to a point where the seals on the outboard bits of the swivel joints plough in to the static inboard bits and seal damage occurs. I recently put chunky tyres on my disco and had to reduce the steering angle by winding the stops on because the tyres were hitting the radius arms. I fitted 8 spoke rims with more offset and so was able to wind the stops off, but found out about the swivel joint limitation in my reading. Cheers Graham

Reply to
Graham Bowers

Graham Bowers uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Cheers Graham I'll keep it in mind.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Mon, 4 Jun 2007 18:11:04 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

IIRC disco steel wheels have less clearance, not more. The 110 I've just got back has 8-spoke 15" wheels which give more clearance, and allow of machining a bit off the lock stops :-)

didn't notice the swivel running out of travel. If you jack the both front wheels and remove the lock stops you should be able to feel the limit in the swivels if it's hitting it - I suspect that unless you get silly with spacers or such, the tyres hit the radius arms first.

It's not fatal if they do lightly touch the arms. You can certainly set 'em with minimal clearance.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

if you have a few pennies free. I can heartily recommend the grey modulars, think I got mine from Craddocks. I know you already have a set of disco rims but the modulars look far better in my opinion. They're tough as hell also. I had a set on my 90 for ages and have trialled on them for years.

Apologies if my answer involves you spending money!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Dave R uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I do spend some occasionally! ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

You'll need to know/measure the offset on your existing rims. Disco 1 steel rims have a 33mm (inboard) offset.

Reply to
Dougal

Dougal uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I know of course how to do this, but for the benifit of our other readers could someone explain how I... er someone might measure the offset.

Does it work from the inner rim or outer rim and I .. er they might assume to the face that sits against the hub?

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

A bit better, perhaps:
The important face is that which sits against the hub.

You don't need to have the tyre removed from the rim to work this out as all the above seem to suggest. Use the Toyo picture as a guide and take measurements across the tyre walls (the section width in tyre-speak, say 'S') and from the inner tyre wall to the rim mounting face (say 'B').

Then, (B minus S/2) is the offset. If positive, the tyre centre line is inboard of the hub mounting face.

Reply to
Dougal

just an MOT failure with slightly keen testers.....

-- To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with rotten floor 200 TDi DIsco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

On or around Tue, 05 Jun 2007 18:01:58 +0100, Simon Isaacs enlightened us thusly:

well, OBVIOUSLY, you reset them before the MOT... and after :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I think, and others will correct me if I'm wrong, that Disco wheels are suitable for tubeless tyres whereas traditional LR wheels are not.

Gordon

Reply to
gordon

gordon uttered summat worrerz funny about:

poo this means I may be shelling out for 8 Spoke which raise another question.

Are common garden 8 spokes man enough for a 110?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

How old is the 110"? The later 'traditional' LR wheels are welded and therefore suitable for tubeless tyres. Have a look at the inside or feel inside of the rim, can you see or feel if the rim is rivetted to the wheel centre or welded? If it's rivetted air can leak out past the rivets so they are no good for tubeless tyres. If welded then they are ok for tubeless.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Oily uttered summat worrerz funny about:

1990 on a G .. Can't say I've noticed any rivets but will take a closer look at the spare.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Wed, 6 Jun 2007 22:17:23 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

My 85 C 110 had rivetted wheels.

and it's on common-or-garden 8-spokes from Craddocks, who had a deal on for

4 15" ones with 31x10.5R15 on at the time.

31x10.5R15 are nominally the same diameter as 7.50X16, but most of the

7.50R16 seem a bit taller in practice.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Damn .........ARSE!

Yup they are rivetted - they all currently have tubes too. Anyone got Cooper SST's fitted and can say if they are a tubeless or tubed tyre? I've already ordered a set of 16 inch rims.

SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT ARSE SHIT AND ARSE AGAIN! :-(

Maybe getting a set of 8 spokes yet.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I might have a set of 16" 8 spokes about me, I'll have a look tomorrow but they might need a bit of painting.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

There's more to it than that!

If the rim does not have the bead retaining groove around each edge where the bead sits, then the tyre bead can be easily dislodged resulting in instant deflation - NOT good!

Tubeless rims all have this groove. The use of tyres without tubes on rims not designed for tubeless, whilst will workable, is not safe.

The original Rangey steel rims had to have tubed tyres.

Neil

Neil

ICBW but the later wheels I had were off an HCPU and AFAIR were fitted with tubeless when new so it probably had the grooves to keep the beads on the rims. A good point to note though.

Martin

Reply to
Oily