Disco value?

Greetings

I'm taking a look at a couple of V8 Discoveries this week. All early 90s (J/K plates) and all at/over 100k mileage.

Any idea of value would be apprciated, along with any particular (not immediately obvious) faults to look out for.

Thanks for reading.

Reply to
William Tasso

Hi William,

If you don't find what you are looking for I have a P reg 3.9 auto 5 door disco in white (ex police) for =A31500

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Hrmm - a white disco would nicely complement the 110 on the drive :)

Location? MOT/Tax? Condition? Known faults? Modifications? Spec AirCon/Leather? pics?

has the 2 jocky seats at the back?

Feel free to contact me off-list. I can be found using the contact page at

Suggests to me that J/K reg might fetch around £900-£1200

Reply to
William Tasso

On or around 19 Jun 2006 04:33:24 -0700, "Dave R" enlightened us thusly:

tempter. but I've had a disco and I can't get enough seats in it.

swap yer for a 1971 series III hardtop? I'll mend the chassis and put an MOT on it...

thought not.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 19 Jun 2006 11:58:35 +0100, "William Tasso" enlightened us thusly:

gearbox output shaft, tired engines. properly looked after the V8 will last that long, but many are 50% shagged or more.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I will find out, it's my mate's from the local 4x4 club who is "storing" it at the farm but haven't had chance to see it yet, I remember he uses to tow his trialler with it before he bought a disco

2=2E

It's in Pembrokeshire, has not tax, but would have 12 months MOT, and as I remember is in fairly good condition, he looks after his road vehicles, but I wouldn't buy a racer from him!!

I'll see if I can get some pics together if Pembrokshire is not too far!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

In message , William Tasso writes

Excuse the intrusion guys but I've just posted this elsewhere on the group and thought it of relevant interest to your strand. It is a TDi and I see William is looking at V8's. Are you only interested in V8's William?

FOR SALE

1991 H reg Discovery 200TDi

MOT to April 2007

Genuine 144,000 mile from new, runs perfectly and has averaged 30mpg for the last three years we've had it.

Manual Gearbox, works as it should without any issues

Some Service History, very well maintained over the last three years

Colour; Gold

Interior clean

Five Doors

Seven Seats

Five excellent tyres

Everything working inc. all windows except central locking, manual locking works fine, couldn't be bothered to fix but is fixable.

Radio Cassette with remote controls on heads up drivers fascia.

Tow bar with twin electric's (rarely used)

Good general condition. Minor cosmetic touch ups needed commensurate with age. But still a good looking car. Not used for anything extreme. Just a few muddy lanes. 99% on road use.

Even though I say so myself, it's damned lot of quality motor for the money. I doubt there's a better one for the money anywhere. I've seen worse for a thousand more than this. Being in rural Mid Wales makes it hard to find a buyer, it can take ages, that's why I'm making it as attractive a deal as possible. New car is only reason for sale

£1,650 ono John Lubran

Car is located at;

Newbridge-on-Wye Powys LD1 6LH

Home 01597 823 497

Tel. 01597 860 575 Fax. 01597 860 655 Mobile 07721 429 181

Reply to
mv

It's on the edge of 'too far' :)

yes - I'd want to see pics and a detailed spec/condition list before making the trip.

Reply to
William Tasso

how is that identified?

for sure - thanks.

Reply to
William Tasso

On or around Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:57:00 +0100, "William Tasso" enlightened us thusly:

clunks from centre of vehicle on changing gear, or when going from over-run to power. possible tests include pull off forwards, stop, engage reverse, move off backwards; also you can try being in 2nd or 3rd, lift off then apply boot rather smartly. You're listening for a mechanical noise somewhere between a clank and a clunk under any of those conditions. Trouble is, they all clunk a bit, but a badly worn one clunks a lot. clankyclunky gearchange when hustling up through the gears is another giveaway - a fast gearchange from 2nd to third often shows it up.

If you reckon it's afflicted thus, you're looking for a grand off the price or walk away, 'cos that's how much it costs to fix it decently, more or less. Minimum is new main box output shaft and new transfer box input gear

- plus of course remove box, split boxes, part-strip main box, re-assemble and replace. The easier option is fit a recon main box and a new t-box gear, which is probably not all that much more money.

Don't believe anyone who says "oh, you only need to replace the gear", IME the wear occurs equally on both sets of splines - on the one I replaced, which was still driving but obviously clankyclunky, the splines on both parts were over 50% worn away, and before long they'd have failed completely and left it with no drive.

The magic words you want the vendor to speak (and it's a good idea to ask without prompting) are, in addition to "new shaft" or "recon gearbox", "cross-drilled gear" - this is the definitive mod to cure the problem, introduced somewhere around M/N reg on discos, soon after the beginning of the R380 box - all LT77 boxes are prone to it (but autos of the same vintage apparently are not). LT77 boxes have reverse left-and-forward, R380s have it right-and-back, opposite 5th.

not that easy to spot, unfortunately. listen to exhaust at idle, down the other end of the pipe, it should sound nice and even, and it should go reasonably well if booted. If it seems gutless or idles unevenly, I'd be suspicious. The principal failure point is the camshaft on neglected engines, along with general top-end wear to the valve gear; while these things can be fixed with the engine in the vehicle, the parts are a couple of hundred or more and several hours' labour...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:53:42 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@movingvision.co.uk enlightened us thusly:

is it the original 'box, and has it had the cross-drilled gear fitted, or other mod to address the output shaft question?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Splendid information (as always) Austin - thanks.

Reply to
William Tasso

np - it's quite chatty in here.

'fraid so - diesels just don't do it for me. too damn fussy about the state of their "fans and filters".

Reply to
William Tasso

In message , Austin Shackles writes

That's a good question Austin, I've been meaning to check that myself. Since it's got to this age and mileage without any indication of the ubiquitous faults early gearboxes were prone to I've assumed, somewhat ostrich like, that it's either been replaced earlier in it's life or had the modifications done because it all works perfectly as it is. We've had it about three years or so and done about 40K trouble free miles in that time. The only fault as such has been the restricting device on the drivers door coming adrift.

Reply to
mv

I can understand the appeal. The V8 is lovely thing, particularly the sound. On the other hand I also like the sound of the TDi it has that confidence inspiring industrial persistence. If it wasn't for the increasingly untenable cost of feeding a V8 I'd be quite keen on one myself.

Reply to
mv

: >> In message , William : >>Tasso writes : >>>

: >>> I'm taking a look at a couple of V8 Discoveries ... : >>

: >> Excuse the intrusion guys : >

: >np - it's quite chatty in here. : >

: >> ... : >> Are you only interested in V8's William? : >

: >'fraid so - diesels just don't do it for me. too damn fussy about the : >state of their "fans and filters". : >

: : : I can understand the appeal. The V8 is lovely thing, particularly the : sound. On the other hand I also like the sound of the TDi it has that : confidence inspiring industrial persistence. If it wasn't for the : increasingly untenable cost of feeding a V8 I'd be quite keen on one : myself.

Thats what they invented LPG for :-)

Si

Reply to
GrnOval