Flood stuff.

Well, having just dug ourselves out of the first lot of water in Yorkshire we're now expecting another lot this weekend.

So, what makes a Landy work in more than the 18" of water mentioned in the handbook.

The obvious first answer is a raised air inlet, fit the breather plugs and do some praying.

But...

The breather plugs are obviously a short term solution and if you're going any distance they'll obviously have to come out, not that they're exactly convenient to put in or take out.

So, what do you do to make the thing work in deep water which doesn't entail spending time underneath the vehicle every time the floods come?

And does it work?

Reply to
William Black

What you got?

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

1996 Defender 90 CSW, 300 Tdi, in reasonable condition.

Dixon-Bate adjustable tow bar with full electrics, front towing eyes fitted, side-steps fell to bits so I've fitted 'tube type' rails for a step, that's it...

Reply to
William Black

My 96 300tdi has a snorkel, axle breathers extended to top of snorkel, and wade plugs for the bell housing and front when i fit them.

It was in water up to the top of the bonnet the other day, and didnt miss a beat, and none actually came inside.

Id did squeak a bit after though, but its been in the sun all morning- now it doesn't squeak so something must have been wet still.

One thing i have noticed is that there is some water in my big spots at the front. Ill get that out later today.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

In message , William Black writes

The engine block drain taps on a series LR are the same thread as the wading plugs. So use them instead and just periodically open the tap to let any oil drain out - that's what the hole is there for in the first place. Frequency of checking is determined by amount of oil you find - if any.

Reply to
hugh

Just hope you don't whack the tap off on a rock!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings