Gearbox Oil Query - Disco/RR/Defender

Just a quickie

LT77 - ATF Dexron II R380 - ATF Dexron II LT230 - EP80/90 Borg-Warner - ATF Dexron II

Correct?

My workshop manual doesnt tell me which oil to put in the gearbox of a '91 RR with a '98 Defender 300Tdi in it........

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Land rover now sell MTF. Whilst I can't comment on the R380, it's the current reccomended lube for the LT77. I suspect after using it though it's basically a thin fully synth engine oil though, as it has none of the sulphour smell associated with EP oils. I know from a technical point of view that ATF is at best poor in the lubrication department. I am now thinking of trying a propper fully syntyh light EP oil, which whilst not cheap should not need changeing so often.

Reply to
Simon Cochran

Just done my R380 @ 96k 110 CSW; thought I'd get recomended LR badged goods and they gave me MTF badged as LR Oil. 4.5 litres roughly if I remember, neded a big ring spanner 32mm as the prop shaft fouled the socket set.

Reply to
Hirsty's

Hi Alex,

I think you need to identify your gearbox first - was it changed when the Defender engine was fitted?

I've just googled, and assuming that it is a 5 speed unit, it seems that LT77's were used from 1983, until the R380 came out in 1994. I know the R380 uses ATF, and I'm sure someone on this group will confirm the LT77 oil, though Ashcroft Transmissions says use ATF Dextron II.

Cheers! Graham Carter Harare Zimbabwe

Reply to
Graham Carter