LR still appears to be the most popular choice around here

Its obviously market day in Fort William, (50miles from where I live) as in the last 10 minutes at least 10 landrovers with livestock trailers have gone past the end of my drive, ranging from an old 90 to brand new double cab 110. Good to see people are still using LR's and not succumbing to the japaneese double cabs.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Same down in Galloway, where I live - a good tenth or more of all cars you see about the place seem to be Landies.

Which is nice.

Reply to
Torak

Why is a Land Rover like a Leica camera?

Answer: they are expensive to buy, but they can keep on going.

If you look in this week's Amateur Photographer, you'll find a preview of the new Leica M8, a digital camera that just carries on from the M7, and will work with existing Leica lenses.

Company history doesn't really guarantee the future, but Leica, and Land Rover, are better long-term bets than most.

Reply to
David G. Bell

IT'S IETHER IN YOU OR ITS NOT... AN AVEERAGE OF 25,000 ARE SOLD AROUND THE WORLD EVERY YEAR BRAND NEW........ :)

Torak wrote:

Reply to
gdn57

Visit the main car park in Buxton on a Saturday afternoon - the Discoveries out number the oppositon 2 to 1, never mind the Defenders etc.

8 or 9 years ago they would almost all have been Jap (Dihatsu mostly).

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

There are a few jap double cabs around, but they seem to be owned by people who don't really need them... and are very shiney :-)

I know one guy has a back yard (rather large as he has a 4000 acre estate) full of old Merc G-wagons, brilliant bits of kit, but are too expensive to repair. - He's the one with a new 110 double cab.

His back yard is incredible, full of old argocats (wheeled and tracked), tracked dumpers, numerous boats, mini-diggers, most no longer working...

Unfotunatly I don't know him well enough to go picking at the collection

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Yeuck, don't make that comparison please, most leica owners I've met are like mac owners. I went to goodwood revival some years ago and some chap was there with a stunning girlfriend, who was bored to tears by him waffling on about the balance of his leica and how it feels perfect in the hand etc etc, don't recall him taking any pictures with it.

Mind you after the reaction I've had on a few occasions turning up to a landy-dominated event in the pinzgauer, perhaps you're right ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

|| Yeuck, don't make that comparison please, most leica owners I've met || are like mac owners. I went to goodwood revival some years ago and || some chap was there with a stunning girlfriend, who was bored to || tears by him waffling on about the balance of his leica and how it || feels perfect in the hand etc etc, don't recall him taking any || pictures with it.

You missed one there! "Hi, would you like to come for a drink - I guarantee not to talk about cameras ..."

Reply to
Richard Brookman

A perfect case for ...

Hello

Reply to
William Tasso

||| You missed one there! "Hi, would you like to come for a drink - I ||| guarantee ||| not to talk about cameras ..." || || A perfect case for ... || || Hello

:-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

The ultimate reliable camera so far as I am concerned is the old Pentax K

1000, and there are more lenses available for Pentax systems than ever were or will be to precios Leica users.
Reply to
Larry

|| The ultimate reliable camera so far as I am concerned is the old || Pentax K 1000, and there are more lenses available for Pentax || systems than ever were or will be to precios Leica users.

Arrrrrgh! Yes. Why ever did I get rid of mine for a more "up to date" model?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I still have a good K1000 with manual and an older Spotmatic F. My first "proper" camera was a K1000. I wish someone would design a digital back for them.....

Reply to
Danny

Mine's an Olympus OM-2 SP with various bits of kit, including some macro bellows, one of the few manufacturers to make macro bellows for

35mm kit due to their strong presence in the scientific photography market.

I used to have a Canon EOS3 with various prime lenses and a pro zoom lens, but given the gear was worth about £3K I could never use it comfortably so flogged it all and went back to the old gear!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings