Re: Very rusty chassis under bumper

new dumb irons is the best cure - but then again the "best" cure would > be a new chassis. Depends how far you want to go.... > I had a simillar problem on my series 2a - jsut the ends of the dumb > iron had gone. So i got my local blacksmith to make up two "end caps". > using 5mm steel, it was a square end with 3 5inch tabs folded back 90 > degrees from the end so that it fit over the front dumb iron like a > glove on the top and sides. Then welded it on, now the dumb irons are > actually stronger than before. Obviously this method won`t work if the > bottom of the dumb irons around the spring hangers are shot - but > luckily that didn`t apply to mine. > Still stuck an additional plate underneath back to the front xmember > though just in case. > > Nick C > series 2a `67 > D90 300tdi

Thank you all for your advice. I think I'll start off with some homemade boxsections and a bit of heavy duty welding. It's good to know that there are others with the same Landy problems. I'll probably take a photo of the finished repair and post a link. Don't hold your breathe though, I feel rain in the air. Cheers, David

Reply to
DavidM