Re: (slightly off topic) SPECS Speed Cameras on the M4 - between Junction 12 & 15

In article , YTC#1 writes

Next you will be sending out warnings about blue poles at the side of the road.

Would you rather be warned unnecessarily or collect a speeding ticket?

My message was sent with good intent, and came to me as genuine, from a list which is usually fairly reliable. When I was told of the error I immediately put out a correction.

SPECS is an application processing video data streams. It does OCR and requires a good quality signal from cameras a known distance apart. The M4 installation has just such fitted. Admittedly there are apparently no IR lamps, but the system would work in daylight.

As I said, I remain unconvinced about that the cameras will not be used for SPECS sooner or later.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

My understanding is they are simply CCTV and have no radar detectors (like ears) alongside like a true SPECS camera. I will look out for them next time I travel that way.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

I would rather people thought before sending out untrue stories.

So ethy all do, especially spam and viruses

Still say you should have checked 1st.

Would it ? Are you sure ? Or is that just something someone has told you ?

Paranoia

Reply to
YTC#1

In article , Bob Hobden writes

They're *not* radar detectors - they're IR lamps for use at night. SPECS doesn't use any form of radar or laser for speed or distance measuring. That's why in theory you could use any high quality camera system (although I don't know anything about the frame rate, etc. of SPECS).

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

In article , YTC#1 writes

Rudeness.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

This may be of interest:

Richard

While on the subject of blue poles. I know they are to do with Trafficmaster but I have noticed (in Kent) that there are now green ones. Are they blue ones just painted green to 'blend in' better with the hedges etc or are they something else?

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Can you be more specific on the URL ?

Nothing on there but a series of advertising banners as far as I can see and certainly nothing about the M4 unless it's hidden away in some corner.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Correctness

Reply to
YTC#1

Perhaps some confused elderly 1970's throwback members of the "welsh liberation front" have got parkinsons disease and took a Saga holiday to Kent. ?

Reply to
Pet

They're certainly getting about a bit then; spotted one of the green ones a couple of weeks ago, in Scotland. It was within a few hundred yards of a blue one so seems unlikely to be just an alternative paint scheme.

Another good reason to be paranoid?

:) K

Reply to
Kieran Turner

Trafficmaster

The green ones are government traffic cameras, operated by the Highways Agency rather than Trafficmaster, and they are used to detect congestion and set matrix signs appropriately. They are not speed cameras.

Reply to
Chris Jones